Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DS leaks out front of diaper every night!

DS is 12 months and in size 4 diapers. He is leaking out the front of his diaper every night and waking up soaked. The rest of his diaper is not full. He is a side sleeper and is in huggies overnights. Has anyone had this issue and found another brand that works? Should I try size 5?

Thanks!

mom2khj is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just went through this with DS in size 5's. I didn't think sizing up would help because the 5's fit and weren't too small. But sizing up to a 6 (regular diaper) seems to have helped. The size 5 overnight diapers weren't working either.
    mom to DD1 (17), DD2 (14) and DS (9)

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

How much does he weigh? It almost sounds like they aren't on tightly enough. I personally size up sooner in overnites. I have found that the pampers overnights are easier to get a snug fit, but I don't think they are quite as absorbent.
    DS 6/09

Yes,, it sounds like they are not quite snug enough. Or, maybe they need to be shifted a bit to create more diaper in the front than the back. With DS, I also tried to make sure things were pointing downward when I put his diaper on.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeLover View Post
    Yes,, it sounds like they are not quite snug enough. Or, maybe they need to be shifted a bit to create more diaper in the front than the back. With DS, I also tried to make sure things were pointing downward when I put his diaper on.
    If he is leaking at the waistband vs the legs- make sure he is pointed downward.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jerigirl View Post
    If he is leaking at the waistband vs the legs- make sure he is pointed downward.
    Yeah, that was my first thought. Point it down.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

OP here- We have been pointing things downwards, but it doesn'e seem to help much. He weighs 23 pounds, so it seems crazy to put him in 5's. Even when we make the diaper really snug, the front just gets so swollen that it doesn't matter much. We will try pampers overnights to see if its a better fit. he is not filling up the rest of the diaper, so hopefully the lesser absorbency won't matter.

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think you can get away with trying 5's, esp if he is leaking up the front. It will be higher on his tummy. If it doesn't work, just save them for later! I put my son in size 3 huggies overnites at 6 weeks old. My DS has been wearing size 5 huggies overnights since he was in the mid-twenty pound range. They currently fit pretty well and he is about 27 pounds right now- and he probably has more of a thinner build than your one year old. BTW I think the pampers run smaller than Huggies.
    DS 6/09

I heard from smb that Sbish wool works, checked out and it cost $33-45 per undies..., decided to knit my own double layer undies, used HA undies for a guide lines, lanolized them, and they are working pretty good. I have 2 wool undies to rotate.

mjs64 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My 12 mo DS is also 23 lbs and wears size 5 huggies overnites. Seemed crazy to me too but at this point I just disregard the weight guidelines and go with what works. We don't get any leaks now. Hes been wearing the size 5 s at night for a few months, though during the day he wears size 4 7th gens.
    My baby boy is 3!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast