Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Huggies: 'Pull Ups' vs. 'Slip Ons'

I was in Walmart the other day, and noticed that Huggies now makes 'slip ons'. They look very similar to 'pull ups'. What's the difference? Am I missing something? Just curious.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The Slip Ons are diapers and, as such, hold more pee & probably feel dry against the skin when soiled/wet.

Pull-Ups, OTOH, are disposable training pants and may or may not have a dry feel to them.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Thanks. Makes sense!
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I saw that too but didn't compare prices - are the "slip-ons" cheaper?? If so I am definitely switching to those for nighttime, esp if they are at least equal in absorbance to pull-ups.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I saw that too but didn't compare prices - are the "slip-ons" cheaper?? If so I am definitely switching to those for nighttime, esp if they are at least equal in absorbance to pull-ups.
    How much are Pull-Ups? (I don't plan to use 'sposie training pants if I can help it, though with daycare I may not have a choice.)

Slip-Ons are about the same total price as a case of Little Movers, but you get fewer diapers per package (say 108 sz 4 Little Movers over 80 Slip Ons in the same size; arbitrary numbers for illustration) so they work out to be pricier per dipe than regular 'sposies.

I'm only starting to venture into Pull-Ups territory with DD taking an interest in the potty ... but we have 9 pair of Hanna trainers that I'm hoping will be our friend when we start training in earnest.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    How much are Pull-Ups? (I don't plan to use 'sposie training pants if I can help it, though with daycare I may not have a choice.)

Slip-Ons are about the same total price as a case of Little Movers, but you get fewer diapers per package (say 108 sz 4 Little Movers over 80 Slip Ons in the same size; arbitrary numbers for illustration) so they work out to be pricier per dipe than regular 'sposies.

I'm only starting to venture into Pull-Ups territory with DD taking an interest in the potty ... but we have 9 pair of Hanna trainers that I'm hoping will be our friend when we start training in earnest.
    At our target I think size 2T-3T Huggies pull-ups are 9.49 for a pkg of 29, so 33 cents/pull-up. I usually use a coupon.

Only DD2 needs something for nighttime (both girls are daytime PT, and DD1 has an amazing nighttime bladder) and I WOULD just use regular diapers, except that daycare requested that we bring pull-ups when they were PTing...and I tried buying generic sposie training pants but picky DD2 complained they were itchy...so we switched to Huggies pull-ups which to her were more comfortable (and also available at Costco). So if you can somehow avoid the whole pull-ups thing for PT (since really, they're just expensive diapers), I totally would. If daycare never requested that we use pull-ups, I would've just gone straight from diapers to underwear (with huggies overnights at night since we were already using that). So, I blame daycare for making DD2 prefer to wear pull-ups

So if slip-ons are just as "comfy" as pull-ups (according to my DD2) and cheaper than pull-ups, I'd use them even if they were more expensive than regular diapers...

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This is the first time I heard about slip ons and if slip ons are same as diapers I'm definitely going to give it a try. We're struggling so much trying to PT DD1.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

interesting. i wonder if they'll be less itchy than traditional pullups??

i have a pack of toystory Pull-ups (a pack with daytime and nighttime) from when they were on mega clearance at Target a long time ago. I got them almost a year ago, since i figured i'd just use them when DS started to PT. I was all excited to use them, but DS really HATES them! He keeps saying they're itchy (the parts on the sides). Bleh! We've had good luck with him just wearing Hanna training underwear (if he doesn't make it to the potty on tome, they do catch a TON of pee, it's amazing, they're a world of difference from regular underwear!!). Or him just wearing nothing at all I just wish i could use the pullups for going out or something.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 02-03-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    interesting. i wonder if they'll be less itchy than traditional pullups??

i have a pack of toystory Pull-ups (a pack with daytime and nighttime) from when they were on mega clearance at Target a long time ago. I got them almost a year ago, since i figured i'd just use them when DS started to PT. I was all excited to use them, but DS really HATES them! He keeps saying they're itchy (the parts on the sides). Bleh! We've had good luck with him just wearing Hanna training underwear (if he doesn't make it to the potty on tome, they do catch a TON of pee, it's amazing, they're a world of difference from regular underwear!!). Or him just wearing nothing at all I just wish i could use the pullups for going out or something.
    This was our problem with generic pull-ups! DD2 complained that those velcro tear-away sides were itchy, and I figured out that if you weren't really careful to be sure the edges of the velcro were well-contained in the stretchy sides (and not touching the skin), she would complain! And in the generic pull-ups, the sides were not as stretchy so it was harder to make sure a corner of velcro wasn't touching her skin. With the Huggies, the sides are a lot stretchier so I just made sure to stretch them such that the velcro had a good margin of stretchy side around them to keep it from touching the skin, if that makes sense. It's that velcro strip that is itchy if it doesn't lay just right. It drives me insane. But DD2 prefers them because everyone used them at daycare, so now even though she's PT, we are stuck with Huggies pull-ups for nighttime. That's why I say if you can avoid pull-ups completely, just use a huggies overnights diaper for nighttime for your daytime PT kids...so much easier (and cheaper)! And if they don't know any different, then they don't know any different

The pull-ups DO look a little bit more comfy than regular diapers because of the elastic in the front as well as the back....as long as you make sure that velcro is laying correctly. And if you pull a pull-up on like they are meant to be pulled on, chances are it won't be laying quite right (velcro rubbing the skin) so you have to take the tabs apart and adjust them anyway. SO annoying. Pull-ups are the biggest waste of money ever

Anyway I might try a pack of the slip-ons if they're cheaper than pull-ups and just as "comfortable"...or I might even buy a small pack of huggies overnights diapers and see if it's been long enough for DD2 to forget and complain that she wants to wear a pull-up and not a diaper...but she remembers EVERYTHING...ugh
    Last edited by twowhat?; 02-03-2012 at 12:20 PM.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We really like the slip ons for DS. We are not potty training yet (i hope we are close) but i love the slip ons for quick diaper changes on a squiggly 2 year old!
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast