Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This chicken, bean and brown rice casserole is a favorite. You can add other veggies like frozen corn and serve it alone or inside whole wheat pita or tortillas. The Trader Joe's frozen brown rice packets also work well in it if you are short on time to cook the rice.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/brown-r...ean-casserole/

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I like this one a lot -- it freezes well, too. I always use brown rice when I make it to keep it healthier. I also usually add another can of beans (so two total) -- usually black beans.

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 medium white onion, finely chopped
    1 anaheim chili pepper (it’s mild), finely diced
    1 1/2 Cups chopped green peppers
    1 1/2 Tablespoons minced fresh garlic
    4 Cups cooked/steamed rice
    1 Tablespoon ground cumin
    2 Cups shredded chicken breast
    1/4 teaspoon Garlic Salt
    1/2 teaspoon dry Ranch Dressing Seasoning
    1/2 Cup prepared Salsa
    1* can corn, drained (or I usually use frozen)
    1 can red kidney beans (or any bean of choice), drained
    1/2 Cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
    1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1.* Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.* Place oil into a large skillet over medium heat.* Saute onion and peppers for about 5 minutes or until softened.* Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute.* Stir in cooked rice, season with cumin and reduce heat to low.* Transfer mixed rice to a 9×13 inch baking dish.
    2.* Place chicken breast into a medium skillet over medium heat.* Season with Lawry’s, ranch seasoning and salsa; mix and reduce heat to low.* Pour corn over rice.* Next layer the beans, cilantro, chicken and top with cheese.* Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
    3.* Serve with hot sauce if desired

8 servings
    Lizi

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Oh, and one more! This one is great vegetarian, or I sometimes add cooked chicken to appease my carnivore DH.

http://annies-eats.net/2011/11/16/mu...rice-casserole
    Lizi

I think I might try that mushroom and brown rice casserole tomorrow. I actually have brown rice and leftover chicken in the fridge, so it'd be an easy prep.

These suggestions are great!!! I'm still hoping for those Indian recipes. I LOVE Indian food, but I've never tried to cook it myself.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    Oh, and one more! This one is great vegetarian, or I sometimes add cooked chicken to appease my carnivore DH.

http://annies-eats.net/2011/11/16/mu...rice-casserole
    this looks SO yummy! I so so wish my boys would eat mushrooms ... no one else in this family likes mushrooms but me!!!! I wonder if it would work well with another vegi maybe zucchini? I might have to just make this for me and give the guys something else!

amandabea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

A friend just emailed me her recipe for Crab Imperial and I'm really excited to try it this weekend.

Crabmeat Imperial
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup chopped celery
    2 Tbsp butter melted
    1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    1 tsp Old-Bay Seasoning
    1/2 tsp prepared mustard
    Dash of red pepper
    1 egg, beaten
    3 Tbsp mayonnaise
    1 pound fresh lump crabmeat, drained

Saute onion and celery in melted butter in a large skillet until tender. Stir in parsley, Old-Bay seasoning, mustard and red pepper.

Combine egg and mayonnaise; stir in seasoned celery mixture. Gently stir in fresh lump crabmeat.

Spoon into 1 1/2 quart dish. Sprinkle Panko bread crumbs on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minues (or until heated through).
    Last edited by amandabea; 02-08-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Edited to add recipe
    mommy to DD 1/07

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I love the Pioneer Woman's sour cream noodle bake. To make it healthier, I've replaced the sour cream w/non-fat greek yogurt and didn't notice a difference. Have also used low-fat cottage cheese. Now I'm wondering about replacing some of the ground beef with lentils....

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've been meaning to try the ones from the episode of Good Eats where he offends the church ladies at a potluck & has to replace the casseroles in exchange for his dog:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/good-eats...ver/index.html

I've been wanting to try the curry chicken pot pie for ages, but my DH doesn't like curry.

I also make (er, made, seeing as how I've not made it in ages!) a dish that I call "Thanksgiving casserole" that uses mayonnaise as a binder ... and Stove Top on top ... but it was one of DH's favorites when we were dating.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    I'm still hoping for those Indian recipes. I LOVE Indian food, but I've never tried to cook it myself.
    I'm so sorry, it's been a REALLY crazy week and I didn't get to typing things in from my favorite cookbook just yet...but in the meanwhile, this is an easy (though probably not terribly authentic) version of chicken curry. You can scale up & make a double batch in two big skillets. To freeze it, I'd skip the simmering-down-the sauce to thicken it step - just cool the chicken after cooking and freeze it in the soupier sauce. Then after you thaw it, reheat in a pan or skillet and simmer a few extra minutes to thicken the sauce.

Serve it with rice or buy some naan bread at the grocery store (Trader Joe's has it in their freeze section). I warm up naan on the george Foreman grill, but you can do it in the oven or toaster oven too. Brush the hot naan with a little melted butter - yum!

Curried chicken
    Adapted from several sources

Olive oil
    2 really big onions, sweet ones if possible (like Vidalia)
    2-3 tablespoons curry powder (Madras Curry Powder band, in the tin)
    10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
    1 small can pineapple chunks in juice
    About ¼ cup golden raisins (regular raisins OK)
    Salt and pepper

Remove most of the fat from the chicken and “open” out each piece so that it lies flat.

Chop the onions into large pieces, about ½” wide and 2” long. (There should be ~3 cups of chopped onion).

Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a really big skillet. Add the onion and cook over medium-low heat until the onion is soft and golden, stirring occasionally. (It will take a while - 20-30 minutes, sometimes. You can cook the onions over higher heat if you’re in a hurry, but stir them often – you don’t want crispy brown onion bits).

Add the curry powder to the skillet and stir it into the onions, cook until you smell fragrant curry powder. Add the pineapple chunks and the juice from the can, and the raisins. Stir everything together and wait until it comes to a simmer.

Nestle the chicken thighs into the onion mixture – lay them out flat on top of the onions, then wiggle them into the onion stuff by pressing down gently with your a wooden spoon or tongs and jiggling them side-to-side. It’s OK if they overlap a bit, but you want them to be in a single layer for the most part. Cover the pan and cook over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes. (Check to see that the chicken is not boiling hard, it should be a gentle simmer). Uncover the pan, and flip the chicken pieces over. Re-cover the pan and cook for about 15 more minutes.

Remove the chicken pieces from the pan and put them on a plate; keep them warm while you let the pan juices simmer down and thicken a bit. Taste the sauce and add salt & pepper to your liking.

Serve the chicken with the pan sauce-onion-pineapple mixture spooned over the top. Or, if making ahead, put the cooked chicken into a baking dish and spoon the sauce over the top and let cool. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Re-heat in the oven, covered with foil, about 40 minutes at 300F or until hot.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

This isn't a casserole, but one of my favorite things to freeze and then pull out for one of those days where I know I won't be cooking, but I don't want to get take out...

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hodies-sloppy-joes/ (you can substitute the beef for ground turkey or chicken)

It is also my go-to meal to bring to postpartum moms, since most ppl over-do it on pasta dishes. Plus, it's easy, I usually serve it with, hamburger buns, baby carrots and chips or pretzels and fresh fruit as dessert. There is some warming up of the sloppy joe filling, but other than that, it's almost like picnic type of food. So, it req very little prep for the mom (and little clean up) and is something different from the casserole scene, but easy for me to bring to others and also easy for ppl to fix who are recovering. I always make a double batch of this and stick one batch in the freezer.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast