Default Ditching/cutting cable?

Help! I need to either seriously cut back or ditch our cable.

Here are the things we watch (mostly from DVR)
    HBO (Bill Maher, Luck, Game of Thrones, some movies)
    Nick Jr.
    Food network cooking shows
    HGTV
    CNN

Non cable shows are usually DVRd and watched later, so that would be a HUGE plus and is one of the reasons I'm leaning towards just keeping cable.

I thought about going with a prime membership from Amazon, but you can't watch on the iPod/iPad. If we do ditch cable completely, we need something that can be streamed either through ipod (for the kids) or iPad (for our room).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Why not get a roku and then you can watch on your TV? Much cheaper than cable.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

I cut cable over the summer and while I miss some shows occasionally. I don't miss them enough to resubscribe.

don't think any of the shows you mentioned are available through hulu, but you can check.

I think your streaming choices are netflix, hulu or amazon, but maybe someone out there will know of other choices.

What is roku? Can you watch local stations and HBO on it?

We have a main TV in the living room with wireless, and a tv in the bedroom without wireless. DD has a tv in her room that isn't hooked up to cable, just a DVD and wii, and there is a tv outside that is mainly used for watching sports.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This may sound radical, but....have you considered just turning off cable and giving it a month or two for everyone to adjust and develop new habits?

We dropped cable a few years ago and missed it at first but slowly switched our habits to listen to more music and NPR and stream videos off of Hulu, Netflix, and pbskids. There was a bit of an adjustment at first but we really don't miss it now. We do still have local stations but don't watch them much outside of the occassional football or basketball game.

Nope, we love our HBO.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've been thinking of getting a roku and using playon.tv to watch shows. I'm still figuring out how it would work and the cost.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Roku or Tivo let you stream Amazon or Hulu Plus or Netflix streaming to your tv, but in each case, you have to pay the streaming service a subscription.

There is no way to get HBO without paying for cable + premium service. Well, there are illegal ways, but I don't suggest them. Risky from a security standpoint.

You could wait for the DVDs to come out.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5