fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Buy a used organic mattress?

We are visiting my parents for a month long trip. There will be future long trips within the next few years. DD is 2 and sleeps in a crib. DS is almost 5 months and cosleeps but will be transitioning to crib eventually. I would prefer an organic mattress for the used crib we will buy at grandparents'. I saw a used Naturepedic one in excellent condition for $125. Is this something I should consider or is it too much money for a short time? I am really debating this price wise. I don't know if grandma will shell out this much money for a crib mattress and she still has to buy the crib (which I am scouting around to get on CL for under $75).
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd seriously consider just using a pack 'n play or if you're feeling fancy one of the nicer travel cribs like the Baby Bjorn or Guava. It's so much easier for grandma to store and you can skip the whole mattress issue entirely.

Outside of that I'd be iffy about a used crib mattress. Babies have a lot of bodily fluids and I'd be hesitant to make sure it was in really good condition. I'd feel much more comfortable buying from someone I knew.

I don't know how the brand compares but Costco has some new organic mattresses for a similar price.

http://www.costco.com/Common/Categor...35*&lang=en-US

Thank you for that link. I'll ask my mom to look into it.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

Also, you didn't ask , but have you considered maybe getting an ikea crib as grandmas crib? Not much more than the used cribs you're looking at online and you'll get a new one . The gulliver crib seems to get a lot of love on here because it's inexpensive and solid wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do go the IKEA crib route you can also get cheap crib mattresses there. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...ns_ikea/18682/

Quote Originally Posted by spannaz View Post
    Also, you didn't ask , but have you considered maybe getting an ikea crib as grandmas crib? Not much more than the used cribs you're looking at online and you'll get a new one . The gulliver crib seems to get a lot of love on here because it's inexpensive and solid wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Already on it! We have two Gullivers at home so I know all about the Ikea cribs. My mom is all for buying the new mattress from Costco--except we don't have a membership. She's looking for someone who has and can order it for us.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS