Default Beco Gemini Vs. Cybex 2.GO?

I'm 30 weeks and trying to figure out which carrier we're going to get.
    I've decided against the Ergo (since it's only inward facing), and hear that the Bjorn isn't that comfortable to wear for longer periods of time (i.e. long walks with the dog).

A friend told me that the Cybex is the answer. But now I've read on here more about the Beco.
    Another thread said that the Cybex was recalled, but that was back in 2010. It also said that the baby could only be in it after three mos, but it's actually 8 lbs.
    Anyone have any pros/cons about either?

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a Cybex and like it. I started with a Bjorn and it caused me severe back pain with an 8 lb baby. My mom went to a local baby store to buy me an ergo as a present and the store recommended the Cybex. He said it was less expensive and was better. I have found it to work great. My baby is 6 months and almost 17 pounds and I often carry her for extended periods in the Cybex, including for a long shopping trip at Costco this past weekend. I like the zippers that allow room for her when she is facing towards me. As an aside, I have found that it is not that comfortable to have her facing outwards. I am lucky because she does not seem to like facing outwards anyway and much prefers to face me and then look around that way.

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What about a pikkolo?

Facing forward also hurt my back. Having the baby face forward causes the baby's weight to pull away from your body, making the baby feel heavier.

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I had a Beco Gemini and loved it - wish I had found it sooner! It was SO much more comfortable for me than my Bjorn (which I used with my first but it killed my back). I also thought it was really easy to put on/off and I felt like the baby was really secure and comfortable in it. I also liked being able to use it in multiple carrying positions (I used facing me the most, but faced him out for short periods too).

I tried the Pikkolo too and had a hard time choosing between the two bc I thought the Pikkolo was comfortable too. I ended up going with the Beco bc I decided I needed the support around my waist and liked that it was built into the Beco, rather than an add-on belt for the Pikkolo.

If it is at all possible to try some on, I would recommend that. I found it really helpful and I know different carriers fit different people better/more comfortably. I am petite (5'2'', 105) and some just didn't work on me bc of that.

ETA: I don't know anything about the Cybex so I can't speak to that one.

Quote Originally Posted by mamareece View Post
    I'm 30 weeks and trying to figure out which carrier we're going to get.
    I've decided against the Ergo (since it's only inward facing), and hear that the Bjorn isn't that comfortable to wear for longer periods of time (i.e. long walks with the dog).

A friend told me that the Cybex is the answer. But now I've read on here more about the Beco.
    Another thread said that the Cybex was recalled, but that was back in 2010. It also said that the baby could only be in it after three mos, but it's actually 8 lbs.
    Anyone have any pros/cons about either?
    I really, really like the Cybex.

Cons: you have a small baby, and/or don't have a wrap that works well for the tiny newborn cuddle stage. This wasn't an issue - my son was born at 10.5 lbs, and we also had a Moby wrap that works well for the tiny cuddly baby stage.

Pros: We didn't get the cybex until about a month ago (he's now 4.5 months old), so I can't speak to how well it works for very young babies, but I have really loved it, and I'm a "carrier challenged" person.

Things I love most about it- the forward facing. I've heard from a lot of people that this isn't really a necessary feature, it's better and more comforting for babies to face in, etc. but my son really likes facing outwards and is content to do so for a very long period of time, but he hates the inward facing and only will do it when he's really tired and you are really moving very quickly. This is the case for other carriers we've tried, too, and that matter for being held in our arms - he just hates facing in. He really digs facing out, and happily looks around and also sleeps in that position!

My son is gargantuan (he's 22 lbs at not quite 4.5 months old!) but I've continued to find the outward facing very comfortable for long periods of time. I wore him through a marathon Ikea shopping trip today and was very comfortable.

I like that it's easy to slip the carrier on with just the waist buckle to fasten. I like that it's easy to adjust it back and forth between the forward/in position with the zippers. I like that the shoulder straps have the attached end of strap so nothing ever drags on the ground if I shrug out of the shoulders and leave it fastened around my waist, say, when I am sitting down breastfeeding my son and want to get the carrier totally out of the way without taking it off.

I also like the spit-up bib (son is a very big spitter) for separate washing. I like the looks. I've been overall very very pleased with the Cybex!

I had also considered the Beco but decided on the Cybex because it was less expensive and I just liked the look of it better... and the Beco said that the forward facing was only to 20 lbs and 4+ months... which didn't happen because my son hit 20 lbs before he hit 4 months. If the Cybex hadn't worked out for us (we ordered it from Amazon to be able to try it on) we would have tried to hunt down a Beco return/second on the cheap instead, though, as it seems very similar and comparable.

For reference, I'm 6' tall and broad-shouldered. It fits me really well. My spouse is shorter and has very narrow shoulders and she's also found the Cybex to be really comfortable. Best of all, it has been really easy to adjust the carrier back and forth between the two users in spite of our different builds.

We have NOT yet tried the hip or back carry yet, so I can't speak to those, but so far, we've really enjoyed the Cybex and I'm very pleased with our choice.

I also wanted to note that my son's legs dangle a lot less in the forward facing position than do many other babies I've seen in Bjorns and Infantino and other forward-facing carriers, so I feel like it's a good way to do the forward-facing while still keeping him in more of a "sitting" position.
    Last edited by philyre; 03-05-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Awesome! Thanks for the helpful replies. Going to give the cybex a try (have a moby too)!

We have a Gemini and really like it. I remember trying on the Cybex as well at the store (see below), but somehow I preferred the Gemini more. I don't know much about the Cybex, but the best feature about the Gemini is that the straps can be criss-crossed in the back when you're front-carrying your baby. That way, the baby's weight is distributed on your upper back vs your shoulders, and the waist belt will help distribute the weight to your lower back/hips.

I see that you're located in SF. I'm sure there are many stores that would carry these carriers for you AND your DH to try. If possible, go to a Babywearing International meeting! I'm in the South Bay, and the meeting is held every month on the second Tuesday in Sunnyvale. There are also East Bay meetings, but not sure about a SF one.

I tried on a LOT of carriers from Natural Mom Gear in Santa Clara, and that is where I bought my Gemini.
    DS1 08.2010
    DS2 04.2012