fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default "tinkering" workshop ideas?

My 6 yo twins love to build and create things. They especially love digging through the recycling bin and creating masterpieces out of boxes and string etc...

I am considering collecting some supplies for them to use as materials to build (outside) . I would love help brainstorming materials - things like boxes, rope, fabric, etc.

I am still on the fence about actual tools, suchas hammers and nails, but if anyone has insight on that topic, I'd love to hear it.

TIA

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

check out the archives of filthwizardry dot com - that woman is amazing, all the stuff she makes out of recyclables. that will give you more starting place than you want!
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Our preschool has a workshop outside (4yo class) and DD was pounding away one day with a mallet (not sure what kind) tapping golf tees into styrofoam.

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That filthwizardy site is awesome - thanks! We will be making some bottle fairy houses this weekend! (http://www.filthwizardry.com/2009/07...-for-your.html)

I think if they were a little younger, the pounding tees in styrofoam would be perfect, but they are at the age where they want a finished product, not just the experience, kwim? I don't know yet if I will allow actual tools yet, just wondering if anyone had.