Default Meningitis scare

ugh, our pt nanny just called. Her DH has meningitis, she babysat today. They are at the hospital now waiting to find out if it's viral or bacterial. DS hasn't really shown any of the symptoms, except for a couple that I had chalked up to some serious teething - he was a little warm earlier in the evening, but isn't now, and woke up about 90 minutes ago and hasn't yet gone back to sleep. (The waking up around now is normal, but usually I just nurse him back to sleep fairly quickly). He's up to date on his Hib and PCV vacs. He went to bed about 30 minutes early, but did the same yesterday. He ate a pretty good dinner and has nursed a ton. I really feel like his issues are teething things, but obviously I don't want to realize in hindsight there was something I should have noticed.

I'm trying not to freak out since we don't know if it's contagious or not. I don't *think* there's anything I can do other than keep an eye on our DS and wait to hear from our nanny, right?
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You should call your ped. In the morning just to check. I'm sure your DS will be fine but it's always good to consult a doc. Where are you located? Hope everyone stays healthy!

for Sandy Hook

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Bacterial meningitis is pretty rare, while viral meningitis is actually pretty common. I had viral meningitis in college and it was horrible (mostly due to complications from a botched spinal tap), but it's not life threatening and there's really no treatment besides rest. Also, after doing tons and tons of research after my ordeal I pretty much learned that many, many types of bacteria, viruses, and even fungi can turn into meningitis IF your immune system is compromised enough and the infection is close enough to the meninges that it can easily be spread (like from an ear or sinus infection). At the time I got sick I was in nursing school and extremely stressed out for personal reasons, which is why I think my immune system was down and led to me getting meningitis.

The symptoms in infants are totally different than those in adults though so you need to by aware of them: http://www.meningitis.org/symptoms/babies

The purple rash that doesn't fade when a glass is pressed to it is the tell-tale sign of bacterial meninigitis. Babies also tend to have a high-pitched scream. When I got sick I had a fever, the most horrific headache I've ever had in my life, and it was extremely painful for me to bend my head down. Lights bothered my eyes too.
    Last edited by essnce629; 02-14-2012 at 04:21 AM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)