Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default I made Scallops for the first time last night!

They were SO good. Much better than I have ever had in a restaurant so I am really happy (and surprised, though I am really particular about never over-cooking fish).

I bought DRY sea scallops and they were wonderful (from my research this means they were not soaked in a phosphate solution to whiten them, which also pumps them full of liquid and makes them harder to brown - so the DRY scallops are ivory/pinkish beige).

Here is the super easy sauce I made with them:

4 tbsps. butter
    Handful of minced parsley
    1/4 tsp. thyme (double amount if fresh)
    Minced shallot
    salt & pepper
    juice of one lemon

Melt and saute until soft/cooked. Add the lemon juice. Serve with scallops. (Make the sauce before the scallops). I am guessing this would be good on other kinds of fish as well.

Hope someone enjoys
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Nice! I've been wanting to try scallops at home but am intimidated...maybe I will try this! I've never even looked into buying them before...where do you look for dry scallops?
    Lizi

Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have a great supermarket here called Fairway (don't think it is in other parts of the country). I would guess Whole Foods would be another great place. Just go for somewhere reputable for fish.

I was all ready to spend some time inspecting the options but there they were - all labeled and perfectly matching the color description - referred to as "DRY sea scallops." The only other kind they had were Bay, but they were farmed and I prefer wild so I got the sea scallops (my mom had told me to get bay as they are so much smaller and sweeter, but apparently not if farmed).

HTH!
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."