Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Why is my pot roast dry?

I've tried to cook pot roast a few times, stove top and crockpot (10+ hours on low). The meat comes out dry! I used a chuck roast.

Any tips or no-fail recipes? Thanks!

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

10 hours is *WAY* too long. Try 5 on low. Do you have a meat thermometer? Is it in liquid?

I have two roast recipes that are no fail.

I am a BIG fan of amazing outcome with minimal effort when it comes to cooking. It seems like some of the meals that I have spend hours preparing return lukewarm reviews from the family. I stumbled upon this recipe and I insist it is simple (can you say crock pot) and delicious. My family goes nuts when they see this bad boy on the counter. Here it is..enjoy

a 2 pound (ish) chuck roast (we use the spencer cut but anything that is know to fall apart like a brisket will do--the cut is important so don't substitute (real life experience here) for something else). This size roast will serve four with no leftovers so get a 4lb roast if you have big eaters or want leftovers.

In the cock pot mix:
    2 cans of regular cream of mushroom soup
    1 envelope of lipton onion/mushroom dry soup mix
    1-2 cans of whole mushrooms (this is optional)
    1 1/2 cups beef broth
    about six (or so) good shakes of Worcestershire sauce

mix that together and place your beef in the sauce. Thats it! You will be able to cut it with your fork and the flavor is superb. It makes it's own gravy (and alot of it) which is fab. Cook on low for about 5-6 hours. I check it with a meat thermometer and I baste it every so often (every couple of hours) just to keep it enveloped in goodness.

Second is a variation of my French Dip..
    Chuck roast again in the crock pot

Mix together and pour over the beef:
    1 can of beef consumme
    1 packet of dried onion soup mix
    some garlic (powder/granules or fresh) and a little kosher salt/black pepper
    few shakes of Worcestershire sauce
    two beef bullion cubes
    a bottle of beer
    Add fresh mushrooms if you like them
    I add a bit of beef stock on top of this (maybe a cup...just eyeball it)

Cook on low for about 4-6 hours..check it at 4 with a meat thermometer. This is so good the day(s) after on hogie rolls/french bread with swiss/provolone. Maybe the best steak sandwich I have ever had. Slice it really thin!
    Last edited by infomama; 03-05-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by infomama View Post
    10 hours is *WAY* too long. Try 5 on low. Do you have a meat thermometer? Is it in liquid.
    It's definitely overcooked. I agree 10 hours is was way too long. Crockpot recipes tend to recommend crazy long cook times IME.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

10 hours is *WAY* too long. Try 5 on low. Do you have a meat thermometer? Is it in liquid.
    Yes, I do have a meat thermometer.

I followed a crockpot365 recipe. I put in about little under 1/2 cup beef broth and only used about a 1 pound chuck roast.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2010...ow-cooker.html

Posted some recipes above.

I have two roast recipes that are no fail.

I am a BIG fan of amazing outcome with minimal effort when it comes to cooking. It seems like some of the meals that I have spend hours preparing return lukewarm reviews from the family. I stumbled upon this recipe and I insist it is simple (can you say crock pot) and delicious. My family goes nuts when they see this bad boy on the counter. Here it is..enjoy

a 2 pound (ish) chuck roast (we use the spencer cut but anything that is know to fall apart like a brisket will do--the cut is important so don't substitute (real life experience here) for something else). This size roast will serve four with no leftovers so get a 4lb roast if you have big eaters or want leftovers.

In the cock pot mix:
    2 cans of regular cream of mushroom soup
    1 envelope of lipton onion/mushroom dry soup mix
    1-2 cans of whole mushrooms (this is optional)
    1 1/2 cups beef broth
    about six (or so) good shakes of Worcestershire sauce

mix that together and place your beef in the sauce. Thats it! You will be able to cut it with your fork and the flavor is superb. It makes it's own gravy (and alot of it) which is fab. Cook on low for about 5-6 hours. I check it with a meat thermometer and I baste it every so often (every couple of hours) just to keep it enveloped in goodness.

Second is a variation of my French Dip..
    Chuck roast again in the crock pot

Mix together and pour over the beef:
    1 can of beef consumme
    1 packet of dried onion soup mix
    some garlic (powder/granules or fresh) and a little kosher salt/black pepper
    few shakes of Worcestershire sauce
    two beef bullion cubes
    a bottle of beer
    Add fresh mushrooms if you like them
    I add a bit of beef stock on top of this (maybe a cup...just eyeball it)

Cook on low for about 4-6 hours..check it at 4 with a meat thermometer. This is so good the day(s) after on hogie rolls/french bread with swiss/provolone. Maybe the best steak sandwich I have ever had. Slice it really thin!
    Thanks for these recipes - they look very easy! What should the thermometer read?

Quote Originally Posted by HonoluluMom View Post
    Thanks for these recipes - they look very easy! What should the thermometer read?
    Depends on how you like your meat. I have the OXO digital thermometer and it says:
    Medium rare 145 (USDA) 132 (chef)
    Medium 160 (USDA) 137 (chef)
    Medium well 165 (USDA) 145 (chef)
    I would take it out at 150-160, let it sit for at 15 minutes and slice.

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

you cooked too long for your small roast.

I have cooked mine on 10 hours before and never had an issue, but I always use bigger roasts.

This is my fail-proof recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/maries-...e7=Home%20Page

I do not add the veggies, though.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

mom2one is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have made this several times now. Most recently for my mom, who said this was the best pot roast she ever had. Super easy too! It is from PW. You can google pioneer woman and pot roast and it comes up.

I made it as below, but with no herbs. Well, maybe just a little dried thyme. Not a fan of rosemary tasting food.

Recipe: Pot Roast
    Prep Time: 20 Minutes | Cook Time: 4 Hours | Difficulty: Easy | Servings: 10

Ingredients
    1 whole (4 To 5 Pounds) Chuck Roast
    2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
    2 whole Onions
    6 whole Carrots (Up To 8 Carrots)
    Salt To Taste
    Pepper To Taste
    1 cup Red Wine (optional, You Can Use Beef Broth Instead)
    2 cups To 3 Cups Beef Stock
    3 sprigs Fresh Thyme, or more to taste
    3 sprigs Fresh Rosemary, or more to taste
    Preparation Instructions
    First and foremost, choose a nicely marbled piece of meat. This will enhance the flavor of your pot roast like nothing else. Generously salt and pepper your chuck roast.
    Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Then add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil (or you can do a butter/olive oil split).
    Cut two onions in half and cut 6 to 8 carrots into 2-inch slices (you can peel them, but you don’t have to). When the oil in the pot is very hot (but not smoking), add in the halved onions, browning them on one side and then the other. Remove the onions to a plate.
    Throw the carrots into the same very hot pan and toss them around a bit until slightly browned, about a minute or so.
    If needed, add a bit more olive oil to the very hot pan. Place the meat in the pan and sear it for about a minute on all sides until it is nice and brown all over. Remove the roast to a plate.
    With the burner still on high, use either red wine or beef broth (about 1 cup) to deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom with a whisk to get all of that wonderful flavor up.
    When the bottom of the pan is sufficiently deglazed, place the roast back into the pan and add enough beef stock to cover the meat halfway (about 2 to 3 cups). Add in the onion and the carrots, as well as 3 or 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary and about 3 sprigs of fresh thyme.
    Put the lid on, then roast in a 275F oven for 3 hours (for a 3-pound roast). For a 4 to 5-pound roast, plan on 4 hours.

I second the recipe using C.O mushroom soup. I only use one can though plus the onion soup mix and mushrooms. No broth.
    It is to die for!!!
    I cook it on low for 8 hrs. max, for a 3 pound roast. If it starts looking dry or just really over brown, turn it off before then.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast