Arrow Swimming lessons...

What age do you think is ideal to start them (for a kid), and what timing is best for the class?

DD is almost 3.5 and I'm going to "finally" put her in lessons next month (I say 'finally' because I know a lot of people start around age 1). I've been waiting because they're pricey and I wanted her to be more comfortable in the water; hoping the money and time investment will be worth it . Also, she's an anxious kiddo, and I was worried (still am, a bit) that she'll freak out if the teacher is too pushy in the water.
    Any BTDT with your own anxious (or stubborn) kid? She'll probably be the oldest in the (almost most basic) class, but I wanted her in a class where I could be in the water with her if needed.

DS is 16 months... would it be worth starting him in lessons now?

Finally, our class options are a week day evening (M-Th) at 6, a Sat. at 11, or a Sun. at 3:30. DD doesn't nap anymore, so I could do any of them, but this is only our second experience with an extracurricular class (other than ECFE), and I'm wondering what the best timing would be. When do the rest of you like to do your classes?
    I guess I'm leaning towards the Saturday one, but I'm worried it'll kill our Saturday plans (though maybe won't disrupt the day as much as a Sunday afternoon one will?). We'd get a price break on a week day or Sunday class; I guess that's because no one else likes those days either, huh?

Sorry this got long, but thanks for your advice!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I paid for private lessons when ds1 was 3-4yo and they were a disaster. Lots of crying and misery for him and lots of frustration for me. We decided to take a break. I am glad I finally saw the light and stopped pushing it. We did do water babies with him when he was a toddler and he liked that fine.

Ds2 is 4 and hasn't had lessons yet because he really doesn't like the water. Based on my experience with ds1 (who now loves to swim and has since he was 4.5!), I am in no rush. I'm not going to force it. We will chill in the baby pool till he is ready to move on.

I'd do 11am or 3:30pm. 6 is hard at that age. It's also a big pain for dinner planning and such. Though, a weekly dinner out is always fun if it fits the budget.

I started DS1 in ISR lessons at 14 months. It was the best thing I ever did. Yes, they were a bit of a pain being 10 min/day for seven weeks, but totally worth it. We've done two more rounds since then (four weeks and six weeks) so if you have the opportunity I'd highly recommend looking into ISR as an option.

I think that more than anything the instructor and the time of the lesson are key. Do it during a time when your kids will be at their best (so not 6pm here...that's the witching hour!!) and find an instructor you are comfortable with.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS and I did a mommy-and-me swimming class for toddlers over the summer when he was 1.5 yo. It was fun but we didn't get much out of it. I enrolled him n private lessons at 2.5 yo and he loved it and was swimming on his own after a few weeks. We found a great teacher, she's amazing with young kids. However we had to stop the lessons due to his allergies and chronic sinusitis. His allergist said to wait until at least 4 yo, but that's due to his particular health issues. But he's starting again as soon as we get the OK from the Dr.

I started swimming lessons at 2 yo as well.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My kids both started private lessons at age 2. I'd say most of what they got between the ages of 2 and 4 is comfort in the water, and moving around the water and getting a feel for it. At about age 4, the coordination was finally there so their little muscles could put it all together, and learn some strokes. Age 5 was magical, and by age 7, my son was swimming laps. He's now 8, and I can't wait for this summer, he'll be on the swim team. His sister will be 6 this summer, and will start laps. I think she'll have the endurance for it finally.

Do I think all kids need to start before 4? No, but I think it helps the kid gain a certain level of confidence so they're ready to swim when their bodies are ready to take it on after 4-ish. If you start after age 4, you basically have to do all that comfort in the water stuff before you even begin to work on strokes, etc.

kellij is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have an amazing "swim whisperer" here. She does a week long lesson, costs a fortune, is hard to get in with, but does an AMAZING job. She starts them at 3. I think she mainly, at this age, teaches them about feeling comfortable in and under water and how to get to the side of the pool if they fall in.

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

At 3 we did YMCA lessons from May to September. Some sessions were better than others. I don't regret doing them because DD1 needed an outdoor activity. I have not decided what I am going to do with DD2.

With DD1 we have done two summers of private lessons and will most likely do the same this year.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

DS started taking swimming classes when he was almost 6. He could swim a little by then and felt very comfortable in the water. He progressed very well initially and then "hit a wall". He took a break from swimming for 6-9 months and restarted at a different facility. We then moved him to his current pool and he is in the last level of classes, and will most likely progress to the pre-competitive swim team soon. DS achieved all of this in 18-20 months of classes, not counting couple breaks in between. I don't think your kids are hopelessly late, I saw plenty of kids do basic classes at 5-7 years of age.
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I paid for private lessons when ds1 was 3-4yo and they were a disaster. Lots of crying and misery for him and lots of frustration for me. We decided to take a break. I am glad I finally saw the light and stopped pushing it.

This was our experience too. I almost think I should have done it way earlier (age 2?) just to get them comfortable in the water. By ages 3 and 5 my kids were terrified and our six week session was torture. I had planned on continuing with the lessons, but the instructor told us to take a break and try again in six months.

I loved swimming when I was a kid and cannot imagine why my children are so terrified of the water.

Thanks, Everyone!
    I've been doing a little open swim time thing with her for the past few summers, and now that we're members at a gym I've taken her 'swimming' there, and she really likes being in the pool, so I hope it'll stay that way.

I think we'll do the Saturday morning class and keep our fingers crossed!