Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Green Eggs and Ham

I'm trying to get a bearing on DS's reading level. His school does not do levels (does not follow the county/state at all). I know some of his K work my friends DS is doing in 1st and some he did in K. My DS is doing 1st grade math (they put him in a higher class for math--he is where other 1st graders at his school are level wise). I researched and it seems that DS is well above in reading as well. FWIW, the teachers had talked about moving DS to 1st back in November and then decided not to. We meet again in a few weeks and I want to go in armed with a better idea of where my DS is academically (rather than this schools arbitrary placements).

So, what grade/reading level would you consider a book like Green Eggs and Ham? FWIW, DS is reading other books around the same length (the tag reading books minus the tag pen) slated for 5-8 yr olds (according to leap frog), as well as others I would consider similar to GE&H.
    Last edited by HIU8; 02-15-2012 at 10:25 PM.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

I don't really know the exact answer to your question, but my DS1 who is in K just started reading Green Eggs and Ham by himself within the last few weeks. I don't really consider him above his K level but I think he had reached all his benchmarks for reading last time I had a conference.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

I would consider Green Eggs and Ham pre-k or early k. Ages 4-just 5.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

According to the Scholastic web site, its Grade Level Equivalent is 2.2.

HTH!
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

This is what I would have thought in all honesty. But according to several sites it's listed as a second grade level (I'm assuming that is what 2.0 stands for since it's listed under the heading of second grade readers).
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

No way a 2nd grade level. I help out one day a week in Nathan's 2nd grade class and even children in the lower reading levels are ahead of that book. Early K is my opinion on a reading level.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Again, I would assume this. I do not get how it's listed as a much higher level reader.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

The second grade level is ABSURD. My DS (who is an was an early reader, but lacks many other skills) chewed Green Eggs and Ham up and spit it out at age 3-4.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HIU8 View Post
    This is what I would have thought in all honesty. But according to several sites it's listed as a second grade level (I'm assuming that is what 2.0 stands for since it's listed under the heading of second grade readers).
    Yes - early second grade. A grade level of 2.2 would be second month of second grade. Really, the interest level is K-2, which is why so many people put it as a pre-K/K book, but the reading level is 2.2. ETA: It is also a book that is read often and has so many rhymes and picture clues that many kids are able to memorize enough of it to "read" it before they are truely at that level of text, IMO - not saying that your DS is not, but that could also be a factor.

I would run several books he has read recently through the book wizard and see if they are all in that range. However, reading that fluently does not mean he is comprehending at that level (but he might be). That is something that is much harder to assess at home. They should have assessments that the school has done which would give you fluency and comprehension levels for him.
    Last edited by o_mom; 02-15-2012 at 10:51 PM.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Nathan started Mutiny on the bounty. Now maybe its a Level 2 book but I have a hard time believing even that. Many of the 2nd graders are reading level 4 in his class but most are doing chapter books. Diary of a wimpy kid etc.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast