Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The only thing that helped stop my sinus infections was acupuncture. I used to get them all the time but after the acupuncture it was years before I got another one and it that was it.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeLover View Post
    I tried to use the Neti pot 3 times today, but my sinuses are so inflamed the water does not flow through at all!

I guess it is possible I have developed allergies, but I genuinely feel sick too. Not sure if you feel like crud with allergies since I've ever had them before.

I am starting my 3rd antibiotic today.

I am sick of being sick.
    You could have allergies that are triggering your infections or you could not be fully treating the infection. I went a year or two with sinus infection after sinus infection. I was eventually diagnosed with chronic sinusitis that was a result of my allergies. My magic "cure" for the actual infection was a shot of cortisone and Avelox, a very strong antibiotic. Then they had to get my allergies under control. Once they were, my infections went away. I still get a few here and there, but can usually get rid of it with my Neil Med rinse bottle, as mentioned in a pp.

If you have allergies they could be causing your nasal passages to swell, which then results in the bacteria getting trapped causing the infection. I also had a friend who was getting infections frequently and she had polyps that were causing the infection to get trapped.

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

ugh. i've had two so far this year and they were both doozies...i feel your pain

i use a neti pot every single day, even when not sick. usually once. some times morning and night. and when i'm sick i do it much more often.

obviously, i'm not all that great an example of a rousing success since i'm using it each day and still got sick twice. but i do believe it could have been even more frequently b/c DS has been sick basically non-stop since late oct. so...in reality, i feel like the preventive neti pot use has been helpful to some degree

i hope you feel better

and i'm going to look into that grapefruit nasal spray too...intrigued
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

peanut520 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

bad sinus infections from sept- march and it ended up that it was few bad ones that i truly never got over. it took a 28 day course of antibiotics and prednisone to completely clear it.

i start Neil med rinses as soon as i feel a little pressure now.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbel View Post
    Grapefruit seed extract is a natural antibiotic and anti fungal. You can actually get fungal sinus infections that would not respond to antibiotics (it may actually make it worse because the antibiotics wipe out good bacteria which keeps yeast in check). Based upon the recommendation here and the great reviews on amazon, I am going to give it a try.
    http://www.amazon.com/Nutribiotic-Na...ef=pd_sim_hg_1

Yup, that is the one. iherb.com has a bunch of reviews too. I used to waste a lot of money on saline sprays and one bottle of this lasts a month ++ and is a lot less messy than a neti pot. The spray is super fine and it doesn't take much to clear the gunk out. It may burn a little, but it is worth it IMO. Just be sure to have some tissues handy when you use it.

malphy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Going thru similar situation here. I would also add mucinex maximum strenght to help thin out the mucus. It makes a big differenc

Feel better soon
    Maggie
    dd 12/06

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have no personal experience using it, but if I was getting recurrent sinus infections one thing I might consider would be a xylitol nasal spray. Just like xylitol can help kill off the nasty strep mutans bacteria that cause tooth decay, the xylitol nasal spray supposedly can kill off the bacteria. I haven't looked into studies on it (I am familiar with the studies on tooth decay prevention), but maybe it would be worth investigating?

http://www.xlear.com/nasal-spray.aspx

eta: here's one study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21994147
    Last edited by brittone2; 02-18-2012 at 09:53 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm on sinus infection #2 here. Last time, I used the Xlear and think it helped. I should have kept using it, but I got nervous that I might re-infect myself by using the same bottle. I think I'm going to also try that grapefruit extract.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melbel View Post
    Based upon the recommendation here and the great reviews on amazon, I am going to give it a try.
    http://www.amazon.com/Nutribiotic-Na...ef=pd_sim_hg_1
    Does this stuff have any antibiotics in it? I am allergic to so many antibiotics.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've tried the neti pot with my sinus infections, but mine are invariably bacterial and I start running a high fever at some point. They don't go away without anti-biotics, even though we tried really hard for it not to be that way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2