Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Mattress recommendations? (for you, not kids)

My mom bought us a new mattress for Christmas 2 years ago and i think I picked the wrong one. My hip is really bothering me (although it was bothering me before I got the mattress) and DH is having debilitating back pain. I am a side sleeper and DH is mainly a stomach sleeper. I noticed last night that the mattress was depressing at least 8 inches where DH was sitting, so I think we need something with more support (he only weighs 170lbs). I slept on a sleep number many years ago at the Ronald McDonald house and didn't like it at all, and I've read that the Tempurpedic can be too hot and take too long to rebound when you move or roll over. Your thoughts? Thanks!!!

Latex all the way! I did so much research after lots of BBBers recommended it, and they were all right. We've had ours for about 40 days now and I wish we had bought it earlier. It's the right firmness/softness blend, but you don't get that "sinking" feeling like with Tempurpedic.

The problem is that first Tempurpedic is too hard, as it takes a while to conform to your body. But then it softens where your body is and you sink in a little. Thus, it's not a good choice for those who toss and turn like me. I slept in my brother's Tempurpedic when he was out of town and it was the worst sleep I've had in a long time. Not only was I hot, but I couldn't find a comfortable position because I felt like I was in sludge/quicksand and had to pull myself up to roll from side to side.

We bought ours from sleepez.com after testing out latex beds in person at several stores to figure out what we liked.

Do you have to order them or can you find them in a regular mattress store?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have had a Tempurpedic since 1999 and still love it! I don't notice the problems pp described though, admittedly, I don't toss and turn all the much. I am not hot on it and find it to be very comfortable. After a trip, I appreciate my mattress so much. I'd never get a spring mattress. I just really like the wear of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    Do you have to order them or can you find them in a regular mattress store?
    Many mattress stores carry latex beds now, but the cost from sleepez.com is about $1000 cheaper than the lowest price I could get locally.

I really think going to mattress stores and testing them by lying there at least 10 min is the most helpful. I assumed I would like a softer bed and DH assumed he would want a firmer bed and we ended up liking beds that were different than our initial expectations.

As for Temperpedic, the marketing made me think I would love it (since I toss and turn so much and DH wouldn't be able to feel me doing so a la the wine glass test). However, my brother let us stay at his place in the city while he was out of town and that confirmed I hated it!

JamiMac is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I love our Tempurpedic! We've had it for a little over 2 years and it's one of my favorite things. I really researched mattresses before we bought this one and I was very concerned about buying a Tempurpedic before we bought it. I can say that nothing that I had read about it being hot or hard to turn in is true at all. It is not any hotter than a normal mattress, and much cooler than a pillow top one. It rebounds very quickly and it's not hard to turn in either. My husband has back problems and is not bothered in our bed at all. I used to wake up stiff and it would take a minute to "normalize" after I got up. I NEVER wake up stiff anymore or with any pains at all. There are many different versions, so you have to research which ones fit you best. Some are more stiff and some have more of a squishy top to them. They say it takes about 6 weeks to adjust and sleep better. That may be true, but it didn't take us long at all to adjust. Seriously, I love our bed and miss it like crazy when we aren't home. I'm VERY picky too!
    DD 2001
    DD 2004
    DS 2007

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love my Sleep Number. Maybe the one you slept on was their base model? My pillowtop model is heavenly!
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I want to get a latex matress (DS has one and I love his bed!).

We have a latex mattress. I think it's a sealy latex mattress. We've had it for about 5.5 years.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Thanks. I have got to do something. DH has slept less than 5 hours in the past 2 nights. He's walking around in extreme pain right now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast