Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Boy's names are hard! I think second baby names are hard in general. We believe we're having a girl (from ultrasound, but our friends got a surprise, so until I SEE the baby with my own eyes...), and we recycled a name from our round of picks for DS to use this time around. It competed with a new contender, which was actually my pick. With DS, I got my favorite name. This time DH got his fave. We're up the creek if we turn out to have a boy, though. We just can't find a name we LOVE like DS's. Here's my thinking, though. Choose a name you like, even if you don't love it. You're going to adore your DS, so the name will grow on you and become a favorite. I also feel very strongly about choosing a name that carries a significant meaning. Both DH and my names mean "warrior". (DH's actually means "warrior with a spear", which I think is hilariously funny!) When we thought about names, we chose Oliver as a symbol of peace. The warriors gave birth to peace. Hokey, I know, but nice, too! Our DD name means "passionate wisdom" and also "from the valley of the eagles". My maiden name means "eagle", and DS has it as his middle name, so now both our children will have that connection. The first letters of her first and middle name are also the first letters of all my grandmothers' and great-grandmothers' names, so there's that connection, too. I say go for a name you like that has a meaning or connection you feel great about!

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

oh hun! We've had a girl name since ODS was born, lol! Imagine our angst when we were having two boys!

it took us months and months. Even just a few weeks before they were born, I still was not sure.

We settle on :
    Myles Victor & Griffin Jack

We considered:
    Sawyer
    Gavin
    Cole
    Nate (just Nate)
    Preston
    Andersson (I wish we had b/g twin because we would have done Hanna Andersson)
    Cade
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Alexander or Xavier get my vote.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Do you have someone you want to honor by naming your DS after them (I don't necessarily mean using their exact name, but at least the first initial or a variation of the name)? That might be a good place to start.

Naming DS was super easy for us. He was given my grandfather's name and both DH and I liked it. We struggled when PG with DD (before we knew she wasn't a boy). There were few names we both liked but we did come up with about 4 total (after searching and arguing--I searched, DH argued).
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DH is not much for family names and flat out refuses any suggestions from his side. One of my closest family friends has a name I really like but DH doesn't....we may use my grandfather's middle name as DS middle name if it works with whatever we pick for FN. I even looked through my Dad's side of the family and went way back reading names....Silas and Henry were in there, so that was cool. DH and I do both like Henry. I think DH doesn't like Silas because both DDs are "s" names so he wants to avoid S.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We had an awful time choosing both times. The second time we actually left the hospital without naming DS2! We even argued about it for two days after that! Our problem is that we have virtually opposite tastes as far as names go. It's nearly impossible to find middle ground.

I hope you find a name that you both absolutely love! (Feel free to PM me if you want to know the names we eventually settled on. )
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Boys names ARE hard. We're using a family name for dd, and I'm 36 w (with history of pre term labor) so it could be any time. Still haven't decided on a middle name.

My husband had not been exactly diligent about coming up with names. He vetoes but hasn't spent one iota of time reading any name books. Drives me batty.
    Ugh.
    Last edited by Sopamanda; 02-21-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Do a poll!!!

We chose our DS2's name based on the results we got from our poll here. That's how undecided we were. But seeing that one name was much preferred than the others helped us a lot.

lmwbasye is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I wonder if it's just hard to switch gears once you've gone one direction or the other?

It's funny you say this. We have two boys and both names we knew pretty much the instant we were pregnant.

We have been trying for a 3rd for a long time now and I would have a VERY hard time picking a boy name. I don't know that I could find another I liked that much.

Now girls...we had a hard time with that before finding out both boys were boys but now I have my girl name set (and oddly different from what it would have been if either DS was a girl). It just came to me one day and stuck.

Maybe it means I'll eventually get preggers one day and have that girl, LOL!
    Laura Proud Army wife and SAHM to Liam (10/04) and George (10/07)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast