Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    JanBaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

These are great stories! With DD, I was paranoid that I would poop. I actually bought an enema beforehand from a pharmacy (that was probably more embarrassing then actually pooping since the guy working the register was like 19) but never used it. This was a long labor so when I was finally getting ready to push, the L&D nurse had me give a "practice push". I'm pretty sure this was just a clever ploy to see if I had any poop in me. Brilliant. For me, at this point the pressure did kind of feel like the pressure you have when you need to go. I had an epidural.

For DS, it was a much easier labor and I just went to the bathroom right before I had the epidural and was good to go when I pushed a few hours later. I'm pretty sure I didn't poop this time but as PP have said, who knows.
    DD 1/2009
    DS 12/2011

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    This was one of my big fears as well. I didn't but I only had 5 hours of labor before an emergency C-Section so I never had the chance to. However, after going through 5 hours of labor and being poked and prodded by everyone and everything on the planet and then having my body cut open, I realized that I couldn't have cared less if I pooped all over those people. Your sense of modesty (or at least mine) completely disappears.

One thing I did notice is that after I had DD, I didn't poop for like 3 or 4 days. It was really weird. I wasn't backed up, it was just like that function of my body stopped. I took colase for a few days and everything went back to normal.
    abdominal surgery commonly shuts down the bowels for a few days.

Something like 80% of women will do it. I worried about beforehand but didn't even cross my mind when it was time. I have no idea if I did or didn't.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Thank you all so very much for sharing your experiences! I'm so happy that everyone took my question seriously! You have all made me feel much better and definitely eased my fears.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
    abdominal surgery commonly shuts down the bowels for a few days.
    Plus the narcotics you get afterward don't really help either. Narcotics are constipating.

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    Plus the narcotics you get afterward don't really help either. Narcotics are constipating.
    I actually wouldn't take the narcotics. They make me so I just made do with a few advil.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

WitMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I pooped with DD1, but had noooo idea I did. DH mentioned it to me a few days later, when we were rehashing the whole experience. With DD2, I don't know if I did or didn't, but he's never said anything, so I'm assuming not. Sooooo not a big deal. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4