Default Steam cleaner anyone?

I posted a while ago asking if anyone had ever used/owned a Ladybug steam cleaner, and no one responded. I've been lusting after owning a steam cleaner for YEARS, but I haven't been able to try one. I live in the boonies, and there's nowhere even to rent one. I just don't want to spring for the big bucks if it's not worth it. If it would work and I would use it, I'd spend the money in a minute!

I'm not a clean freak. Actually, I hate housekeeping, and that's why I want a steam cleaner. I love using my vacuum. Everything else I hate! I particularly hate mopping, and I loathe scrubbing the bathroom tile and tub. I never feel like I'm doing a good enough job, and it's hard work! I've had help in the past, but I always feel like if I'm paying a professional, they should be able to do a better job than I can do myself, and that has rarely been the case, so I usually revert back to doing it myself. If a steam cleaner really does sanitize, how wonderful would that be!?! And the thing looks like a vacuum, so I feel like I would enjoy using it. Am I deluded?

Does anyone out there have experience with a steam cleaner? I would really appreciate some advice!

peanut520 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i like you hate cleaning, but really like to vacuum too .

i currently have a haan steam mop and really like it even though the handle broke and i duct taped it back together. i really like the ease of use and no more buckets. i bought my mom the envirosteam and it is okay. i dont feel like it cleans as well because of the different pads. i had a 2 shark steams and they stink! they just dont work or work for a few time before dying a slow death. luckily i bought those at costco so i could easily return them. sorry i have never heard of a ladybug steamer.
    DD 2/09 - My sweet loving Spunky/Spirited child

Thanks for replying!!! I still haven't made the plunge to buy anything. I hate to buy a floor steam mop if I might one day get a steamer that can clean everything, but it's good to have the recommendation. Thanks!

I clean because I have to, but it is really no use on a floor with three kids and two dogs. I guess it is just the fact that it will be trashed several hours after cleaning that deters me from spending too much time and effort. That being said, I LOVE my bissell envirosteam. I have not used others, so I can't compare...

Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have one- I think its a shark though? We love it! Super easy to use and yes, just like vacuuming only easier b/c it slides so easily. Gets stains up off the floor and really cleans them well!

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't have a rec for a steamer right now but do have a rec against the Eureka Envirosteamer. Ours worked great probably a dozen times over the course of a year and then suddenly stopped heating the water. According to the 1 star reviews on Amazon we are far from alone.

I just bought another brand to replace it but don't have enough experience with the new one yet to comment.

tabegle is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I actually love my envirosteamer. (link to amazon)

I got it per the recommendations on this board. After 1.5 years of consistent use, it broke because of my own fault (it fell while upside down and the clip that holds the pad on broke off).

I ordered the exact same Envirosteamer the next day. I don't regret it. it works great! As with any steamer, it doesn't get into the tile grout too well though. That's the only drawback, but I think you'll get that with any steamer.

Read the reviews on this, there are a few that are pretty thorough.