Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Soooo tasty, but NOT good for me!

I usually eat pretty healthy, and my friends do, too. I ate lunch at my friend's house today--leftovers out of the fridge. It was turkey meatballs in a sweet, tangy sauce over brown rice. This dish was soooooo good!!! I asked for the recipe for the sauce, and my friend didn't want to tell me. Finally she fessed up. The sauce was jellied cranberry sauce (out of a can) and chili sauce like you find next to the ketchup! I'm telling you, because this was one of the best things I've ever eaten. If you don't have compunctions about eating out of cans and jars, make this dish!!! My friend said it was a recipe from her childhood that she just had to indulge every once in a while. I understand why!!!

My favorite meatball recipe is jellied cranberries mixed with a can of tomato sauce

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I make appetizer meatballs like that (so no rice) with a similar sauce but I used the jarred cranberry sauce from Trader Joe's that has chunks of cranberries in it and no HFCS. Much better than the Ocean Spray kind whose ingredients are: cranberries, high fructose corn syrup, water, and corn syrup! Also, I don't buy the Heinz chili sauce which probably has HFCS as well and was able to find a jar of chili sauce called "Homemade Chili Sauce" that contains tomatoes, sugar, water, vinegar, salt, bell peppers, onion, sesame seeds, and spices. You could probably make your own as well if you google chili sauce. It is really good though!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'm going to pretend I never saw this.

Or file it under "things I do not need to know".

Oh, who am I kidding, can't wait to try it!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Hmmm..with cranberries....we just do the grape jelly/chili sauce meatballs every now and then. INHALED by all. I've never thrown one away.

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Hmmm..with cranberries....we just do the grape jelly/chili sauce meatballs every now and then. INHALED by all. I've never thrown one away.
    Yep, in these parts people love the grape jelly/chili sauce combo. I'm not a fan. Bet I would like it with cranberry, though!
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Also, I don't buy the Heinz chili sauce which probably has HFCS as well and was able to find a jar of chili sauce called "Homemade Chili Sauce" that contains tomatoes, sugar, water, vinegar, salt, bell peppers, onion, sesame seeds, and spices. You could probably make your own as well if you google chili sauce. It is really good though!
    Where did you find the homemade chili sauce?

We grew up with the grape jelly/chili sauce meatballs, in a crockpot, at all the parties in the 70s/80s.
    Last edited by urquie; 02-29-2012 at 07:30 PM.

We don't have a Trader Joe's near us (which makes me cry a little sometimes ), but I'm going to troll my local coop for some decent alternatives to the canned and jarred stuff. No matter what, it's still a ton of sugar, but for a special treat it would be okay, right...?

Nechums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

A treat? This is regular dinner for us. Now the guilt is starting to settle in.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Proud mom to
    DS1, Sept 2008
    DS2, Apr 2011
    DD, Oct 2012

We are big fans of the grape jelly/ketchup combo. Last time I made it I did throw some crushed red pepper flakes in, so I guess that would be kind of close to chili sauce.
    Yum!!
    Michelle

DS#1 10/02
    DS#2 8/04

Homeschooling mom to 2 middle schoolers, once-owner of the now-defunct My Little Ducks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast