Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Experience with the mini-pill?

I have only taken full-dose, combination hormonal birth control pills, and have tried the patch, the ring, the Norplant implant, the shot...good grief the list goes on! I hated them all. Every side effect on the list I experienced, along with the 110% kill of my libido.

I've always said I wouldn't ever go back on BC again. We've done NFP or barrier methods for the last 8 years, and it's worked great... except for our last little surprise

We are now at the point where I think we are done (can you believe I said I *think* ? ). But I need something that is FOR SURE birth control, no oopsies like can happen with NFP (ETA: I realize that nothing is for sure really, and I could still get pregnant, but I think it is more protective than NFP). But--as much as I was pushing for the big "V" prior to this baby, I'm not totally on board with it anymore, for religious & personal reasons, as well as not wanting to do something so permanent.

So, long story short, I am considering the mini-pill, combined with exclusive on demand breastfeeding.

From what I have read, the mini-pill has has far fewer side effects, is not as hard on your body, doesn't run the risk (as much) of killing your libido. I'm thinking I might try it.

What has been your experience with the mini-pill, especially if you can compare it to being on combination BC?

Thanks!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I used it the first 18 months with ds1. I sucked at taking it so I got lucky no oops babies. I don't remember bad side effects and I had been on regular bc before pg with ds. But, the whole take it at the same time every day was a total deal breaker; I'm just not that person.

I took it after both my girls were born until they were done breastfeeding. 13 months the first time, and 14.5 months this last time. Normally I'm on the pill though. I had no side effects or bad issues taking the mini-pill. Actually DD2 just recently quit BF so once I was sure she was done, I contacted my doctor so I could go back on the regular BC pill. The first week and a half my stomach didn't feel great and I had cramps...just now feeling normal again. Yes, it was difficult remembering to take it every night (especially around the same time), but I made it part of my bedtime routine to help me remember.
    Tammy

Big DD
    Little DD

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was on it when I nursed DS for a year. I liked it a lot better than the regular pill. I felt so much better and not hormonal at all. I would have stayed on it if it wasn't less effective than the regular pill, as I was worried about forgetting one or something. Not sure it really helped my libido much but it definitely made me feel better. I plan on using it again once this baby is born. Not sure what we'll do after nursing, as I hate how I feel on regular BC and I know DH isn't ready for the big V yet.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I took it after both girls while BFing. I didn't have any problems with it. You have to be really really consistent with taking it at the same time every day, but other than that, it was fine. Once you are done BFing or your BFing really becomes less frequent you need to find something else.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

iaam is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I took it while BFing both kids, 12-13 months each time - no issues at all.

I took it while BF DS1 for about 3 weeks, my supply reduced quite a bit so I went off it. I do fine on BC.
    DS1 - 08
    DS2 - 11

What about a copper IUD? no hormones, no thinking required! The mini pill has a fairly high failure rate compared to other pills--I took it for a year while BFing DS. But I was rigorous about taking it at the same time every day! You could do the mini pill and condoms and that would be effective.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I took while BF DS, I can't take regular BCP, but I did fine with the mini-pill. Keep in mind though that it is CRUCIAL that you take it at the exact same time EVERY day, it's not as fool-proof as combination BCP's.

My OB insisted that once I weaned DS and AF returned I needed to switch to something else, because it's not as safe. I think NFP is much more reliable, actually (I do NFP, but AF returned until DS was 11 months old)
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

My SIL got pregnant while on it. She set an alarm on her phone so she could take it at the sane time. I would not take it if I were looking for a sure thing. I know other people with mini pill oops babies.

I don't do hormonal bc either. I'm considering Paraguard
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast