Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just hit a milestone of fifty pounds lost yesterday! I cut out all sugar and grains and keep my carbs (from veggies, berries and yogurt) to under 30g daily. It's taken about eight months and I have another 17 lbs to go but low carb is the only thing that I've been able to sustain. I eat plenty of healthy fats and am never hungry. My annual checkup last month was excellent too.
    You go, girl!!
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm not dieting, but here are some of the things that have helped me lost all the baby weight both times.

I've been breastfeeding constantly for the past 4.5 years.
    I got a Penguin sodastream and started drinking carbonated water instead of sodas.
    I had to go dairy free because DS was allergic and I'm still breastfeeding him. That eliminated a lot of sugar because most cakes, cookies, and desserts have butter or milk in them. I eat the non-dairy soy ice cream and vegan cupcakes though so it doesn't always help!

DH has lost the most weight through going low-carb. I can't do dairy-free and low carb though, I think I'd go nuts.
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Sillygirl View Post
    I just hit a milestone of fifty pounds lost yesterday! I cut out all sugar and grains and keep my carbs (from veggies, berries and yogurt) to under 30g daily. It's taken about eight months and I have another 17 lbs to go but low carb is the only thing that I've been able to sustain. I eat plenty of healthy fats and am never hungry. My annual checkup last month was excellent too.
    Congrats! Way to go!
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Wow! WTG, Sillygirl!
    I try to focus on more protein, less starches. I don't count veggies as carbs, and I don't mind a little fat, it keeps me satiated. Esp. Eggs! Love eggs, and they keep me really full. Sometimes, i'll cook some eggbeaters, them in a corn tortilla with a little cheese, some ham, and a bunch of arugula. Pretty filling. Tonight, I had a piece of fish and a bunch of veggies.

Portion control is really key for me, amd not eating off the kid's plates.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Regular exercise. I lost a little bit more than a pound per month (on average) since starting Taekwondo 11 months ago. I do 35-45 minutes 2 times a week of a fairly intensive exercise with a lot of varity from week to week and it does not feel like exercise. I bring DS to these classes anyway, so have no execuse to skip unless I am truly feeling horrible. I prepaid for 12 months to get 15% discount, which has been a good forcing function, too.

When DH is out of town, which is every other month, I walk DS to school, don't drink much less wine and eat less. He is a very good cook so I tend to overeat and have more excuses for wine. I've gained back almost 5 pounds since he got back a month ago, so it's quite a bit of difference. Otherwise my weight loss in the last year would have been more like 15-16 pounds.
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

Going dairy- and soy-free did it for me.
    DD - 12/07
    DS - 1/11

speo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Portion control and running.

I started exercising 6 days/week with a min of 45 min/workout. I started walking, then added running, and I am now running 7 miles on my long run. Running has been wonderful. I was already a relatively healthy eater, but I ate too much. So with all of the exercise I cut back my calories a little - but the main thing was really to not increase them (even though the exercise makes me hungrier).

I have since plateaued the last 2 months and now I think I need to reduce carbs for about 2 months to burn off the last 7-8 lbs I want to lose. That or cut down on some running mileage.
    DS1 2005 and DS2 2007

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Going dairy-free did it for me when I was BFing DD, who had a dairy sensitivity/intolerance. I also tried (and still do) try to avoid soy b/c I don't get along with it very well. As PPs mentioned, cutting out dairy and soy cuts out A LOT of processed foods and desserts.

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had a coworker get involved with my diet. It really helps to have someone ask me "what did you eat today" and remind me I havent been to the gym in 4 days. Its harder to quit when you have someone holding you accountable and help you make smarter decisions.

It also really helped to start shopping as I lost weight and enjoy my new body. The better I felt the harder I worked.

I'm lactose intolerant so I'm dairy free. I also eat very very little meat. Carbs and soda are my weakness though.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I understand how difficult this can be. I struggle with the same issue. I lost some wt last yr and found a few tactics that helped.

My fitness pal or some other way of charting your daily intake helps you to realize how much you are eating and also to keep yourself accountable.

Working out 5-6x a wk. Yes, you read that correctly. I cannot lose wt by merely working out 3x a wk like, "normal" ppl. The only way I can lose wt is by only giving myself one, sometimes two days off during a wk to not exercise. This doesn't always mean it's a full blown work out. I usually do a combo of stroller class (which is combo of cardio and strength training), zumba, running, pilates and I would like to work more kettle bell or general wt training into my regimen. The zumba REALLY helps me define my waist, all the hip wagging works that area, lol! I have zumba on wii (both discs), but also attend a real live zumba class at our local schools. Zumba classes are fun (don't worry about looking foolish, everyone needs to start somewhere) and you get an awesome workout. If you can't figure out a move, just keep moving, the point is to keep your heart rate up.

Cutting down drastically on carbs. I didn't cut them out 100%, but my body is obviously carb sensitive, and I notice a difference pretty quickly. I also feel like I am less sluggish when I cut out carbs. To replace the carbs I increase veggie and protein intake. As another pp has mentioned, eggs are an excellent (and easy) source of protein. I never tire of eggs.

Also, instead of eating 3 meals a day, I really think that breaking things up where you are eating a healthy snack at least every 2 hrs really helps. I know for me, it becomes a problem when I haven't eaten in a while, then I am REALLY hungry and just want to get my hands on something and scarf it down. My hunger is in better control if I snack more regularly.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast