WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Tell me about caring for DS's new ear tubes, please

DS2 got tubes this week. We put drops in them for the 5 day period, and we need some instruction about bath time and swimming. We got these silicone ear plugs, but he won't come near them. The ENT mentioned some kind of headband type, but I'm not sure what they are.

What have you found to work well?

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

There is a headband called the Ear Band It that a friends DD uses. The audiologist at our ENT had earplugs made for DD.

Neoprene headband:http://www.amazon.com/Small-Physicia.../dp/B0006VLNOA
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Thanks, Heather! I did search and find your thread about tubes, and I wondered if you ended up getting custom ones.

How did you get her to use them? DS2 won't come near the silicone, won't even entertain the idea of putting them in his ears. We tried doing it in front of a mirror, with sweet fun voices, etc. Not happening, according to him.

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My ENT offered them to us. He said he preferred something more permament than just silicone that you mold each time. DD had to get molds done of her ears. She then got to choose the color of the ear plugs and of the band that hold them together. She had no issues allowing us to put them in her ears (and still doesn't--she has been using them for 2.5 yrs now).

The company that the audiologist at our ENT uses is call Micro Sonic. Here is their page about swim plugs:
    http://www.microsonic-inc.com/index2.php?section=97
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007