Default How to get rid of a blocked up ear after flying?

DD and I went to Disneyland this last week, both with colds. The flight down wasn't an issue, but on the way back, OH MY GOODNESS, my right ear is so plugged I can't hear out of it.

Yawning and swallowing don't help--in fact, it makes the pain and congestion worse.

Anything I can do? It's annoying and painful now!
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, there's something you can do, you can equalize as if you were coming up from a dive. Pinch your nose closed on both sides, take a deep breath, close your mouth and keep it closed. Then try to blow out, hard but slow, your year should pop and feel better, you might even feel some air come out. If it hurts too much stop. You can repeat it a couple of times, until it's completely unblocked. Just don't use this technique too may times or too often (says my ENT)
    Last edited by edurnemk; 03-03-2012 at 11:06 PM.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

kbud is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

As a former flight attendant here's a trick we used to suggest although we were told not to due to liability. Warm a up of water and then place your ear over the cup allowing the steam to go into the ear canal. It's supposed to help. You could maybe get the same effect in the shower. What the pp suggested usually works too but blow gently. Maybe if you tried that technique in the shower with the steam it would help. You can also try a decongestant.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You might also try a neti pot. Hope the pressure eases soon!

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I did the hot water in a cup routine once when I had a bad ear infection while flying. It totally helped (although I got my ear too close to the steam at one point and ouch!). A steamy shower might also help. If none of those help, you could try a decongestant.

reneed is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

2 benedryl and a good nights sleep seems to help me.

I've been popping it since reading the above advice several hours ago, and it's lightening up some. It's "unpopping" for a few minutes at a time now. Going to take a hot shower (had many a cool showers while at the hotel), and pop some benedryl, and go to bed. Hope it's better in the morning!
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by edurnemk View Post
    Yes, there's something you can do, you can equalize as if you were coming up from a dive. Pinch your nose closed on both sides, take a deep breath, close your mouth and keep it closed. Then try to blow out, hard but slow, your year should pop and feel better, you might even feel some air come out. If it hurts too much stop. You can repeat it a couple of times, until it's completely unblocked. Just don't use this technique too may times or too often (says my ENT)
    This works for me and DH. The warm towel over the ears never worked for me as a kid, so I never bothered trying it again as an adult.
    DS1 08.2010
    DS2 04.2012

Quote Originally Posted by kbud View Post
    As a former flight attendant here's a trick we used to suggest although we were told not to due to liability. Warm a up of water and then place your ear over the cup allowing the steam to go into the ear canal.
    Yes, this! Best trick ever! Airline employees know all the voodoo ;-)

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you didn't have a cold I would agree with the above messages and hopefully the suggestions will work anyway! However, whenever I fly with a cold the same thing happens and usually I have fluid behind the ear and an ear infection. Basically the congestion from your nasal passages gets pushed back into your ears and trapped. If it doesn't go away I would go to a walk in clinic and get it looked at.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014