Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Converible Seat recommendation for 95th percentile baby

My DD is 5 mo old and is 18+lb already. She's 95th percentile for both height and weight so I'm looking for recommendations for convertible seats for her. Space is not an issue in the car (yay!) and I would like to rear face her as long as possible. I have ODD's Britax Diplomat I can put her in for now, but she will outgrow that thing really fast I'm sure. Thanks for the recommendations!

ETA: We do move our seat between 2 cars so I would like one that is easy to install/uninstall.
    Last edited by rileysmom; 03-05-2012 at 01:18 PM.

My son is not quite 4.5 months and 22 lbs, and 29"... I feel your pain! If space were not a problem, we would be getting another Radian for him, as we've really loved it for our toddler. Installing the Radian and uninstalling takes a bit of practice, but I haven't found it hard once I've gotten used to it!

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I second the radian, though the new peg perego convertible looks great (and easier to install) - http://carseatblog.com/16793/peg-per...rtible-review/

That said, I would strongly consider getting 2 seats to avoid hassle, installation issues and accidentally getting stranded without the seat.

Speaking of getting stranded without a seat. I accidentally left the seats in the other car so I am stuck today without seats. So I guess to add to this question, whhat would be a good second car seat for both this baby and a tall 3 year old?

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh, bummer about getting stuck at home! How often will they be used in the other car? What is the other car?

They would be used on the weekends in the other car. That is a 2010 Subaru Outback so it has decent room for the seats as well.

She's pretty young yet - I would use the Diplomat until she outgrows it, then if she's still on a high percentile growing pattern, look into a Radian.

My son has always been pretty big, and he just outgrew the Diplomat at 18 months.

For the additional seats, I'd probably get the Apt (while on sale at Target) for the baby, giving her 40lbs RF, which should get her to at least 2 years old, even if she's fairly tall. For the 3 year old, assuming she's of average height/weight, I'd get the new Secure Kid, for around $100/110, and it would last a good long time and could be passed down to the baby eventually.

What is the Apt??

Super brand new seat, just came out, $40 at Target last week (not sure this week). It's kind of a bulky scenera, looks like a Graco My Ride. Major bugaboo about it, though, is that my friend just put her big 2 yo in it and there was no growing room for him! Strangely low top slots...Anyway, I guess I'd look more at seats for the 3 yo and hand down the convertibles (Evenflo Secure Kid is a nice alternative to the Frontier for a second car, it just came out at BRU and Baby Depot, under $150)
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Super brand new seat, just came out, $40 at Target last week (not sure this week). It's kind of a bulky scenera, looks like a Graco My Ride. Major bugaboo about it, though, is that my friend just put her big 2 yo in it and there was no growing room for him! Strangely low top slots...Anyway, I guess I'd look more at seats for the 3 yo and hand down the convertibles (Evenflo Secure Kid is a nice alternative to the Frontier for a second car, it just came out at BRU and Baby Depot, under $150)

Ugh, I had no idea the slots were different. I thought they were identical except for the cupholders.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast