Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default "made a mistake" previa is still complete - wwyd

remember this thread? http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...ghlight=previa

yeah, the practice i went to for my anatomy scan (i did not go to my doctor, i went to a former associate of hers that now has a practice much, much closer to me...so for convenience she said she would be "ok" with me seeing him for the anatomy scan)...anyway, apparently they made a mistake.

I had an OB appt today - I am one day shy of 23 weeks.

I went in with hopes high for an easy-breezy appt. I said, "oh, isn't it great that the anatomy scan showed that the previa was now only a partial."

and she said, "oh, good! i was going to ask you b/c we never got the report. let's do an US to look at the baby..."

and then she said, "hmm...we need to do a transvaginal scan. from what i'm seeing, it's still a complete previa."

so she did the transvag, printed a picture and showed me. sure enough. it's blatantly a complete previa.

i am SO pissed at this other place. i've been walking around thinking i was in the clear. have gone back to trying to exercise. not restricting my lifting at all, etc. i will be calling them on monday to find out why the report wasn't sent to my doctor. she said she's going to call too.

anyway, now i'm freaking out again.

At my next appointment, which will be Apr 21, I will be one day shy of 27 weeks and at that point, if I still have a complete previa, the doctor is saying that chance will then be slim that it will move.

If it doesn't move, I will be forced to have a c-section and they will deliver the baby early.

My 40 week due date is July 15.

However, if I still have complete previa, she said the latest they will deliver the baby is 37 weeks, which will be some time between 17-24 of June - I will be allowed to go to 37 weeks if I have absolutely zero bleeding and she feels there are no "real concerns" other than the previa. She has told me that 50% of people with complete previa have zero bleeding. At 37 weeks, the baby is technically considered "full-term" and the chances are slim that they would need to be in the NICU.

The other 50% of people do have bleeding. Most have minor or not "too significant" bleeding. If I have any bleeding whatsoever, but it is not major bleeding, than she will deliver the baby at 36 weeks, which will be anywhere between 10-17 of June. At 36 weeks, the baby is technically considered "premature" and/but, it's close enough to 37 weeks that she said it's 50/50 whether a 36-week-old baby would require the NICU.

She said that a "small percentage" of people with complete previa who end up bleeding, have what they consider to be a "major bleed" at some point. If that happens, the baby will be delivered as early as 34 weeks, which will be May 27 and June 3. At 34 weeks, the baby is considered "premature" and chances are strong that they would have to go into the NICU for a period of time.

Obviously, I am praying hard that all of this is moot and that my next appt shows that things have cleared up. Again, she cannot give odds or percentages as to if it will move. So it's just a matter of wait-and-see.

but here's the WWYD - i am supposed to be taking this "silly little" trip to FL in late April - I'll be between 29 and 30 weeks. i asked the doctor today about traveling. she basically said she couldn't say.

she said the actual travel isn't an issue - like no worries about changes in cabin pressure, etc. but her concern is, what happens if i start bleeding while i'm down there?

i don't know what to do.

my DH thinks as long as i haven't had any bleeding by the time of the trip, that i should plan to go. my mother is adamant that she wants to cancel - i'm supposed to be traveling with her and my sister. my sister is saying she has no idea what to think.

i am...sort of almost in shock. i don't know what to think or do.

wwyd?

thanks
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'm so sorry your appt. went like that!!! It's good to find out the information, but I was so excited for you that it seemed to be changing! About the trip, I'd bail. Too risky to travel with a condition associated with premature delivery.

kristenk is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is strictly an answer to your WWYD based on MY gut reaction. I wouldn't go. I think that I would be so worried the whole time I was there that something would happen that I would be freaked out and unable to enjoy any sort of trip. Now, that's not to say that I SHOULD be freaked out, but my gut isn't terribly rational.

And I can't believe that the other place missed it! Ugh.

I think I probably would not travel but I had a 32 week preemie unexpectedly and I was very glad to be close to home when that happened.
    DD '06
    DD '14

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yeah, I wouldn't travel. A good friend went into labor on her babymoon at 33 weeks and baby was in the NICU for a while. Babymoon was only a few hours from home and they ultimately ended up at a hospital about 1-2 hours from home, but still really difficult for her to be that far away.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

SkyrMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

First I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this, I know how happy you were to seemingly put this worry behind you. I think knowing what you do now, I would cancel and stay close to home. I couldn't imagine having an emergency far away from my doctors and midwife.

I'm glad you are doing well right now with no bleeding and am sending many P&PTs that you will continue to do so.
    DD 4/09 DS 8/12

What a sucky situation, thinking the worst was over, boo!!!

In terms of traveling, I probably wouldn't. BUT I am a firm believer in trusting your gut. Give it a day or two to process and listen to yourself and your body. Good Luck!

sweetsue98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Im sorry you are dealing with this! I would not take the trip as its not worth the risk.

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Honestly, I'd probably go on the trip. It sounds like you've been under so much stress lately, and with a newborn coming this'll be one of your last chances for a while to get away and have some "you" time. Florida (that's where you're going, right?) is not exactly a medical backwater, and if something *did* happen, you'd presumably be near enough to medical facilities that you could go there. You could also check what the nearest hospital would be, whether they have a high-level NICU, etc, just sort of familiarize yourself with the options. I might even ask my doctor to help me put together an "emergency" medical file that I could bring along, just in case, and that you could hand to the medical staff down there if you did end up having to check in to the hospital. I would absolutely check with the doctor right before going, and if there was any bleeding I'd cancel, but if things looked good I'd probably do it.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rin View Post
    Honestly, I'd probably go on the trip. It sounds like you've been under so much stress lately, and with a newborn coming this'll be one of your last chances for a while to get away and have some "you" time. Florida (that's where you're going, right?) is not exactly a medical backwater, and if something *did* happen, you'd presumably be near enough to medical facilities that you could go there. You could also check what the nearest hospital would be, whether they have a high-level NICU, etc, just sort of familiarize yourself with the options. I might even ask my doctor to help me put together an "emergency" medical file that I could bring along, just in case, and that you could hand to the medical staff down there if you did end up having to check in to the hospital. I would absolutely check with the doctor right before going, and if there was any bleeding I'd cancel, but if things looked good I'd probably do it.
    For me, the worry wouldn't be about having the baby in Florida. It woudl be about the possible NICU stay. What if the baby is there for a month? Now, I'm stuck in a hotel room in Florida for that month, while my husband is back home and he needs to travel to get there and take lots of time from work, etc.
    Kris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast