Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Oh man! I am sorry you are going through this on top of everything else!

My brother was born in the 80's at 29 weeks-emergency- due to placenta previa.He was born Jan.1 and in the NICU till March and came home with a heart monitor, so I would *not* do the vacation. (Then again, I had a 23 weeker due to severe pre-e so going very far after 20-weeks never seems like a great idea to me anyway.) If you do go, there's a possibility you could be stuck there for a couple months, easily, or more. (He is perfectly healthy now, no issues at all.) This is really rare, but I have a friend who had a 32 weeker who is still in the NICU over a year later because the poor baby has had so much trouble with her lungs. (Generally 32 weekers are in the NICU a month or less, but it can vary by baby.)

DS was born intentionally at 36+2 (due to my prior c-section, they didn't want me to risk me going into labor.) He had jaundice and was a sleepy eater but had no big problems, he roomed in with us and spent NO time in the NICU. One thing that I feel like helped, was I made them give me steroid shots at 32 weeks for "just in case". The majority of 36 weekers do not need NICU time, according to my high risk doctor. I was really nervous because we had to do an amnio before delivering and I was going to be really unhappy about going through that only to find out his lungs weren't ready and we had to wait a week, anyway, she told me 80-90% chance his lungs would be ready before we did the amnio, and they were. Our ped has never treated DS like a preemie (and he was 7.4 lbs and usually following at least 70%ile growth curves for regular full-term babies) and met all the milestones on time/early. So, try not to stress too much about delivering at 36/37 weeks. Just take it one week at a time!

I really hope that placenta moves in the meantime so all of this is a nonissue!
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

thanks so much for the feedback, guys

it just...sucks so much. i think my overtired brain is over-dramatizing everything b/c now i'm totally stressing out about all the things i'm reading online - i did this the first time they told me i had previa too - webmd is such a blessing and a curse!

anyway, my DH called the airline and at this point, the penalty is the same whether i cancel now...or right before the trip.

so he is strongly advocating that i don't cancel now. give myself the chance to go to my next appt. i thought i was going to be one day shy of 27 weeks, but i'll actually be one day shy of 28 weeks.

at that appt, if it's still a previa, than i'll cancel.

if it's moved, i'll be able to go.

location is naples, FL. so, yes, i would think medical care should be decent...though i honestly don't know.

we'll be going/staying at my parents' house...so god forbid something did happen...it's a full-scale, three bedroom home. so at least we wouldn't be worrying about extending hotel rooms and not having a kitchen, laundry, etc

so for now, i'm trying not to stress it and just telling myself that i will know more and decide after my next appt.

in the meantime, i need to find a way to stop thinking about the what-ifs of hemorrhaging to death during a c-section, or needing a blood transfusion or possible hysterectomy

yes, i know these things are rare...but they are real possibilities with complete previa and i wish i just had never read about it

also, i am seeing recos over and over for no lifting over 10lbs. i mean, really? c'mon...i'm a SAHM to a toddler three week days a week, plus the weekends. i run a house hold and cook and clean and all that jazz. my kid is 38 lbs. and he's only just turning 3. he sleeps in a crib and needs to be lifted in and out, and in and out of bath. my husband is never, ever here during the week, so it's not like i can ask him for more help. i just feel like it's not at all realistic to think that i'm going to be able to function on "pelvic rest meaning no lifting over 10lbs, frequent rest" and all the other jazz i was reading.

sorry for the totally random rant. but i am just so sick of dealing with one thing after another. my next appt cannot get here fast enough...five weeks is going to feel like an eternity
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

So sorry for this latest news for you. I'll be sending P&PT your way that the placenta moves by your next appointment.

If it were me, I wouldn't go, for the exact reasons that KrisM mentioned. I know you said your parents live in or near Naples, FL, but I'd hate to go through a pre-term c-section with doctors and hospitals that I was unfamiliar with, my DH not in town, etc. But, that's just my tolerance level.

As for the reality of dealing with a previa, if that's still the case at your next appointment, it sounds like your doctors have already given you a good plan to work with (expected delivery date, etc.). I deal with previas and accretas a LOT in my medical practice and the vast majority of patients do great, if that's any consolation to you. I think things become scary when it's a previously undiagnosed previa (extremely rare now and not your case) or the OBs (and anesthesiologist) have a low to no suspicion that it could be an accreta. Personally, I think any time there is a known previa, the team taking care of you should have a management plan in place in case it turns out to be an accreta. There are options available, such as uterine artery embolization, to minimize blood loss and blood transfusion. Easier said than done right now, I realize, but take things one step at a time. See what the next ultrasound shows. If it's still previa, tell your OB all of the fears that you have, that you've already mentioned here, and see how he/she addresses them. Make sure it's addressed to your satisfaction, and don't feel uncomfortable asking more questions until you get the answers that you need. Good luck, and hopefully the placenta moves soon!
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TxCat View Post
    So sorry for this latest news for you. I'll be sending P&PT your way that the placenta moves by your next appointment.

If it were me, I wouldn't go, for the exact reasons that KrisM mentioned. I know you said your parents live in or near Naples, FL, but I'd hate to go through a pre-term c-section with doctors and hospitals that I was unfamiliar with, my DH not in town, etc. But, that's just my tolerance level.

As for the reality of dealing with a previa, if that's still the case at your next appointment, it sounds like your doctors have already given you a good plan to work with (expected delivery date, etc.). I deal with previas and accretas a LOT in my medical practice and the vast majority of patients do great, if that's any consolation to you. I think things become scary when it's a previously undiagnosed previa (extremely rare now and not your case) or the OBs (and anesthesiologist) have a low to no suspicion that it could be an accreta. Personally, I think any time there is a known previa, the team taking care of you should have a management plan in place in case it turns out to be an accreta. There are options available, such as uterine artery embolization, to minimize blood loss and blood transfusion. Easier said than done right now, I realize, but take things one step at a time. See what the next ultrasound shows. If it's still previa, tell your OB all of the fears that you have, that you've already mentioned here, and see how he/she addresses them. Make sure it's addressed to your satisfaction, and don't feel uncomfortable asking more questions until you get the answers that you need. Good luck, and hopefully the placenta moves soon!
    thanks so much. i really do love my doctor - i swear all the "stuff" in the beginning that made me switch back to her, and to delivering at a top-notch hospital in the city - was almost like it happened for this reason...b/c i couldn't be more confident in her, or in the quality of care of the NICU at columbia. but i so appreciate your feedback, reassurance, and some of the technical terms and things to ask about. i think i really needed to hear it.
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

If I was in your position I would just play it by ear. Your placenta might very well move by the time you see your doctor next. And Naples is not a small town -- they do have a Level II NICU at least, and they are not too far from Miami or Tampa.

I have had a different doctor with every delivery and I guess I always assume I am just not going to know the people involved with my birth -- no way to know the nurses on call in L&D, and no way to guarantee my doctor will be available when I deliver. I care more about knowing my doctors and nurses throughout the pregnancy care. But that's my own attitude and might not be yours.
    Allison
    DS 06/02
    DS 03/04
    DS 08/07
    DD 04/12

I went through a very similar situation just a few months ago during my last pregnancy so I can really empathize.

First, it can be very hard to visualize the placenta and there were quite a few women on the placenta previa board over at Baby Center who were told their placenta previa had moved when it really had not. I'm sorry they gave you false hope and that you went back to exercising, etc.

My CPP was diagnosed at my 19 week ultrasound the DAY before we were to leave for a 2 week vacation to WDW and a cruise. We ended up cancelling it because of the risk of bleeding. The MFM doc was ok with "taking it easy at WDW" (hah!) but said absolutely no to the cruise. I cried for a week about cancelling but even though I never had a single bleed during my whole pregnancy I KNOW it was the right thing to do. I knew that I would never forgive myself *if* something had happened so we stayed home. I didn't feel like I could take it easy at WDW with a 3 year old and a 6 year old.

As far as the lifting restrictions, I followed them to.the.letter. I understand how hard it is to be running a household that way, but I did it. DD learned to climb into the car herself. At Target she would climb onto a bench and then into the cart and then do the reverse at the end of the trip. I asked for help to the car if there was anything heavy and I asked a neighbor to carry things in at home. At about 28 weeks I was supposed to stop doing all of the grocery shopping, so I made detailed lists and dh did it in the evenings on the way home from work. We had a housecleaner come in every 2 weeks from the time I was diagnosed until about 4 weeks ago (8 weeks post partum).

A pp mentioned accreta. If memory serves me, you did not have a c-section with your first, so your risk of accreta is VERY low. I was on my 4th pregnancy with 3 previous c-sections, so my risk of accreta was 70% when combined with CPP and I did have placenta increta.

CPP is a scary diagnosis, but most of the time things go just fine. TRY not to worry too much. I spent my entire pregnancy worried and on edge and it was so hard on my family. Honestly, though I would prepare yourself that your placenta might not move. Make peace with the idea that you may need a c-section so that you can be happy with the experience as much as possible. You want to be able to enjoy your little one rather than be frustrated about your birth experience.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. Take it easy and good luck! I really hope your placenta migrates!
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

we'll be going/staying at my parents' house...so god forbid something did happen...it's a full-scale, three bedroom home. so at least we wouldn't be worrying about extending hotel rooms and not having a kitchen, laundry, etc

so for now, i'm trying not to stress it and just telling myself that i will know more and decide after my next appt.

in the meantime, i need to find a way to stop thinking about the what-ifs of hemorrhaging to death during a c-section, or needing a blood transfusion or possible hysterectomy

yes, i know these things are rare...but they are real possibilities with complete previa and i wish i just had never read about it
    That makes a big difference to me as far as your vacation, knowing you wouldn't be stuck with a gigantic hotel bill/in a Ronald McDonald house/ etc. for months. Although someone mentioned Naples having a Level II NICU, but I am pretty sure for a 28 weeker you would need a Level III NICU (if I remember correctly, Level II's are capable of caring for preemies 32+ weeks.) Since canceling early doesn't make a difference, it sounds like you are making a wise decision by waiting.

I hope the placenta moves and you can go enjoy a relaxing trip to Florida!
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I travelled with DD1 to my home town at 32 weeks for my baby shower. It was just over an hour on the plane and WCS had I gone into labor when I was there I knew which hospital I would be going to if I was going to deliver and my old OB there probably would have delivered the baby. I could have stayed at my parents house if need be if the baby had to stay in the NICU. DH could have driven there in 7 hrs. or been there in 3 to 4 via airplane. It was all things I was comfortable with though. You have to listen to your gut though and if your gut tells you to go then go, but if it doesn't then don't go.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Staraglimmer is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

I'm sorry you are going through this. To answer your question, I wouldn't go. I don't think it would be worth it. I would rather be safe than sorry. That being said, you should probably do whatever your gut reaction is. I would freak out if I started bleeding that far away from home. Good luck with your decision.

-Stephanie
    Mommy to Hailey Michelle 4/08
    & a new addition due 7/1/12
    Stephanie

Mommy to two little girls,
    April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018

Based on your clarification regarding staying at your parents house, if the previa improves, then I would go. At first I was thinking you would be (potentially) stranded in an unknown area, alone a lot (due to dh's work), in a hotel. But you would have your parents with you, and their home to go back to...I would be comfortable with this setup.

Will be thinking good thoughts for you! I think you really deserve a getaway, so i hope it works out in your favor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2