Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Diaper Bag Dilemma: Studio, Versa, or BFF

I asked my mother the other day to help me refresh my sad old Skip Hop Dash, and she recognized that it was, indeed, sad and old, and she offered to buy me a new diaper bag. I do want one. I just haven't been able to decide which one! I love the idea of the JuJuBe BFF because it's totally washable and has that great Mommy pouch, but I'm not crazy about the prints. I have an orange stroller, and none of the prints really "go." Also, it's much more costly, and now it's my mom who's going to buy it, so I'm more mindful not to be profligate. Is the BFF worth it? Then I don't know about which Skip Hop I would choose. My old one was so heavy. With no zipper, stuff would fall out of it, and it got warn pretty quickly. There's nowhere near me to see any of these bags in person, so I need to rely on YOU! Wax euphoric about your bag, or tell me why I shouldn't get it. Also, if you know of an online store where I could order all three and easily and inexpensively return the ones I don't want, that would be ideal!!!

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Amazon has free 365 returns on most baby items including diaper bags so that's an easy way to try them.

You might also add the BabyMel Amanda to your list. I have the Studio too but find myself carrying the Amanda more because the Studio is heavy. The Amanda isn't quite as dressy as the Studio but the more casual look is fine for me. MyHabit.com had a few colors last week.

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have both the Studio Tote and the Versa. I LOVE my Versa more than the Studio Tote, although the larger size of the Studio Tote was more practical with a newborn. The Versa is lighter than the Studio Totel.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

I have had both the Studio and Versa and prefered the Studio when my DD was a newborn, but am loving the Versa now that she's a toddler. The Versa is definitely more lightweight and I prefer the one strap...easier to carry IMO.
    Mama to my sweet little girl - 12/2009
    ...and Baby #2 due early August 2012

joules is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have the Studio tote and Versa too.

I got the Studio for DS1. I love it!! But I'm a bit of an over packer and I'm not good at being organized. The pockets in the Studio made being organized SO easy. There were so many pockets, I could use it for DS's stuff and for my stuff too (no need to carry a separate purse). I had pockets for stuff like my camera, cell phone, small Le Sport Sac bag of cosmetics, paperwork, etc. The things I didn't like about it: stroller straps could have been a tad bit longer (would have made putting it on the stroller a bit easier), could only carry it over my shoulder (when I bent down to do stuff with DS, it would swing around and hit him. also made it hard to hold him and the bag at the same time). Most of the time I had the stroller (uppababy vista) so I could just throw the bag in the basket or hang on the handle so I didn't have to carry it.

I recently got the Versa because with 2 DSs, I really needed to be able to carry my bag across my body (I didn't like backpack style diaper bags). I like it a lot so far. Almost as many pockets as the Studio Tote. Lighter than the Studio. I think the dimensions are about the same as the Studio but since it's hobo style, the way it closes on top makes it seem like there is a bit less space inside (not a big deal). Like some reviews said, the strap is a bit scratchy..not sure how it would feel against my bare skin. Stroller straps are longer than the Studio, but I haven't used them yet since I can just use the shoulder straps to keep it on the stroller handle.

I got the BabyMel Amanda right before I got the Versa. I think I was used to the pockets in the Studio...I found the interior pockets in the Amanda to be weird. My stuff couldn't fit in there like it fit in the Studio. The Amanda also didn't have as many pockets as I was used to (I need the pockets to help me stay somewhat organized). So I returned it and decided to stay with SkipHop bags, since it seemed like that's what I was used to. That's why I got the Versa.

I bought all 3 bags on Amazon. If price is an issue and you have some time to wait, keep an eye on the price as it fluctuates often. You can see the historical prices on CamelCamelCamel to get an idea what's a good price to wait for.
    DS1 - 03/10
    DS2 - 02/12

Thanks for all the great advice! I'm going to order the versa and the studio. Looks-wise, I definitely prefer the versa, but I might need the extra room of the studio, so I'm going to order them both and compare.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I really like my Versa but I haven't tried it with baby yet....still I love it for my stuff plus the belongings of the two preschoolers, and I have actually taken it to girls' night out and gotten compliments. I've never had a bag that would really function as a diaper bag that I was willing to carry when I didn't have the kids along!

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I find JJB bags to be very heavy. I have a versa for 2 in diapers. I like it.

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    I find JJB bags to be very heavy. I have a versa for 2 in diapers. I like it.

I also had the Studio Tote and the Versa. Got the Studio first and tried it out for a while.

Things I disliked about the Studio Tote:
    - 2 straps
    - straps weren't adjustable and too short
    - too large for my needs
    - became more awkward to carry when it was loaded for some reason

Things I loved about the Studio Tote:
    - patterns
    - keeps you organized
    - very stylish

Things I disliked about the Versa (I had black):
    - I don't care for the strap material, but it wasn't a deal breaker

Thinkgs I loved about the Versa:
    - the ONE LONG ADJUSTABLE strap! I could shoulder carry or cross body carry and I'm not small
    - the pockets
    - could wipe it clean
    - the inside colors are light so things don't get lost in the black abyss
    - held enough for my newborn (bottles, change of clothes, diapers, wipes, etc) and I had room for snacks/sippy for my toddler and room for my phone, keys, wallet, etc
    - It has held up VERY well with constant daily use for the past 2 years. It's just now showing signs of wear. And that wear is where the bag rubs on the stroller when I stuff it into the basket when I don't use the stroller straps.
    - it's very lightweight, and not super heavy when loaded either.

As you can see, I LOVE my Versa. I actually just retired it last week and moved to a large purse. My baby is 2 now, so I really only need a diaper and wipes for errands. My older one is in kindy, so I don't really need a diaper bag. Makes me kind of sad....

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'd go with the BFF, I love my JJB bags way more than other brands. I have a Studio Tote and to me its just not roomy enough. The BFF or other Ju Ju Be bags are better organized and have a lot more features I like. The newer JJB bags are lighter, I don't find them that heavy unless they are packed with heavy things.

As for prints, there are so many choices in the BFF that once you start looking IRL you are likely to find something you like. I agree with buying off Amazon to see them IRL with free returns.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast