jess_g is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What does aba teach?

My son was diagnosed realy late with autism so he never did aba as a preschooler. I am wondering what skills aba therapy can teach a child and if it works for older kids? My son is 12. He does not have any bothersome behaviors but he does have some issues that I think aba can help with. I am just wondering if its worth trying to get it covered by insurance and if its worth it for an older child.

thanks, Jen.

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

ABA is a methodology, not a curriculum. It's a systematic way of looking at a skill set and determining what effects that skill set , so it can be modified in a significant, positive way. You can teach behavior, academics, social skills, motor skills, communication, etc. This is a way of teaching that breaks skills down into small tasks, teaches each task separately, and uses reinforcements.

So if you use ABA to modify a target behavior, you would first observe that behavior, and do a functional analysis to determine what function that behavior serves for the student, what leads up the behavior, what effects the behavior once it is underway, etc. Then you would find an acceptable alternative that can serve the same function and gradually teach that alternative, using positive reinforcements.

A lot of times, when people talk about ABA, they are referring to Discrete Trial Training (DDT), sometimes called "tablework". But there is a lot more to ABA than that.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong