BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default 1 Double or 2 Singles for 2 Kids at DL?

I think I know the answer but wanted to get the wisdom of the BBB since DH has a differing opinion and I want to be open minded.

We're doing DL in Sept, DS will be 3.25 yrs and likely will still be a slow walker, naps occasionally in stroller. We'll need something for him to ride in. DD will be almost a year so needs a stroller, we'll also babywear her when we need to leave the stroller. We'll plan to walk to the park and hopefully be out all day/evening. We're driving so will bring our own strollers unless I find a great rental option near DL, but we're limited in car space if we want to bring my much more comfortable car. So I have a stroller vs. car tradeoff decision potentially, I'll do some trial packing to see how things work. So our options:

BJCM single + Mac 4 Seasons single = 1 stroller for each kid, we both have to push. Can abandon DS's stroller if he wants to walk more. Both have a recline. Neither have as much storage space and can be tippy with bags. Better fit in my car, theoretically.

BJ Summit XC Double - 1 stroller for both, better storage space, better for hanging bags. Better push with huge air tires. Great recline. DH and I can take turns pushing and doing adult things. Takes up a ton of space in the car so may require driving DH's car which is not my first choice. One side will be empty when DS walks, still pushes fine with one kid but feels like overkill sometimes.

Thoughts? (Double right? Better tires, better push, easier to keep track of 1 stroller between rides. Gives us the ability to trade off kid responsibly and have some solo fun.) I've never done Disney with kids so maybe my perspective is wrong.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

double. the tires are a big deal. The solo thing is a big deal (you may want to take the babes to the resort for a rest, and then if the other adult still has energy, they can stay at the park for a little while extra) to me as well. I found that I could send my DH ahead to get fast passes or get our name in at a restaurant much faster than we could all make it through with strollers. So my vote is double for sure!
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

We did two singles, Macs, based on
    Posts on here and other boards and very glad we did. Could weave through crowds, divide and conquer and just worked great for us. I bought a second Mac for the trip. We considered bringing our phil and Ted and glad we did singles. Kids where tall 5 year old and three year old.

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have always done two singles (2 trips to wdw and 1 to dl and some sea world trips). We did cheapo umbrella strollers, so tires weren't a big deal to us (I had a baby jogger double at home, so I was used to good tires).

It was so much easier to get through crowds, find parking, fold up for buses (more of an issue at wdw). Since they were umbrella, I could fold them and carry if we needed to. We rarely split up though, so that wasn't a consideration for us. If we did split up, we would park strollers in a central spot and one would walk around a few rides with the girls while the ran to get fps or whatever. But mine are twins so we didn't have the age gap you do.

Which brings up the point that if you ever want to split up with one of you taking the older dc on a ride while the other goes with younger, two singles make that much easier.

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Hmm, interesting points. Does it make a difference that we are staying within walking distance so will not ride public transportation other than possible a hotel shuttle home once or twice if we get really, really tired? I know at WDW transportation is a big issue, but for us the stroller will be the main form of transit. We're also going during a very low week (crowds predicted at 1/10) so I don't anticipate having to navigate major crowds. The baby will be barely walking, if at all, so will be in a stroller or a carrier all the time, we babywear a lot. I feel like if one of us goes off with the 3 year old and the other wants to ditch the double stroller they'd put the baby in a carrier.

I also want to take advantage of child swapping on the adult rides, especially while the kids are napping/resting. And sending one adult ahead to get FastPasses for certain rides. I'm having trouble picturing how we'd do that with 2 strollers. I don't even like pushing the Mac outdoors for 1 mile to daycare, can't imagine pushing an umbrella all day and night.

Are there considerations I'm missing?
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

todzwife is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We've gone several times and always stayed within walking distance.

When DS was 7, DD1 was almost 5 and DD2 was 6 months, we brought 2 singles. I wore the baby 90% of the time. In the evening I took the girls back and left DS and a stroller w/ DH. It worked out well.

This past time, we only used one stroller (although I had brought 2) because DS didn't need one anymore (he's 8 and a smidge) and DD1 did well 90% of the time and DD2 (22 months at the time) wanted to WALK! The little stinker walked a LOT. I did wear her some as well because she HATED the stroller. That said, if we had brought a double, DD1 (6) would have hitched a ride a lot more than she did simply because she would have had her own seat.

If you think you may split up, bring a double.
    Shandelle
    Proud mom to Dallin 10/03 Maddie 1/06 Zoey 4/10 Sadie 7/13

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

DL isn't that big and most of your long distance walking will be from your hotel to the main gates if you stay off property. I really liked having my double though. I guess there could be an advantage to two singles, but I really don't see a need to avoid bringing a double. You won't be there during a particularly crowded time as school will have just started again.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)