Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default birth story (long)

Well, DD finally arrived on March 26th at 7:52pm. She was 9 pounds, 21.5 inches. I was exactly 42 weeks that day. We had hoped for a VBAC home birth, and I did try mightily. I was in active labor for four days. That's right, four days. I now know that you can have fully fleshed out dreams in less than two minutes between contractions while hanging on to the side of a birthing tub. Amazing! Labor did keep stalling, though. There were periods where my contractions dropped to three or four minutes apart before they picked up again. I was fully dilated for a whole day before I finally decided DD was just not going to descend that last little bit to allow me to push. I was really, really exhausted, too, and the back labor was terribly intense. By that fourth day, I was afraid of the contractions and just wasn't able to work with them any more. When I got to the hospital, they did an epidural. It was a relief for my back, but I hated not being able to feel anything. In a last ditch effort to avoid surgery, they gave me some pitocin, but DD still wasn't budging. She was a trooper, though! She withstood that long labor and the pitocin without her heart rate dropping for even a moment. That's my girl!!! I ended up with a c-section. Poor DD was posterior and really wedged. The surgery was much longer than it had been with DS, because they had to extricate DD. I was able to have her skin to skin on my chest in the operating room, and she wasn't away for long before I was able to breast feed her. She latched on right away, and all has been well since. I'm having a tough recovery this time, but I'm sure I'll be feeling better soon. I'm just enjoying my little girl and adoring how wonderful her big brother is with her. I'm a lucky mom indeed!

Oh wow. That sounds beyond intense. I'm so glad she's here and being enjoyed by the whole family. Congratulations!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

WOW!! What a marathon for you....so glad your DD is here and safe. Hope your recovery speeds up and you can enjoy her!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I hope you have been able to get caught uP on sleep!! CongratulatiOns!!!!

Wow, what a long journey into the world! Welcome baby girl!!!!

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Congratulations! Now take it easy and let others do for you!
    K

That's a really unusual birth story . Glad you were able to handle such a long labor and your DD was healthy enough to hold up too. I think that might be a sign of her future constitution for sure. For how much of the labor was your midwife there?
    And being dilated for a full DAY with no urge to push... I can't imagine. I have never heard of something like that in all the birth stories I've read. Again, you are a tough mama.

Congratulations!
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Our midwife and her assistant, who is also an experienced midwife, came on Saturday, so they were there for three days. It was a marathon for them, too!

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

WOW! Now that is a LONG labor! So glad your DD is here safe and that you gave it your all (you really did!)... that VBAC just wasn't meant to be! Enjoy your little one and welcome to the world baby girl!

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You did an amazing job, mama, and I agree, you've got one tough little girl there.

Welcome, precious baby, and wishes for a quick recovery to you, Mom!
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast