citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Have you machine washed Keens?

Both my kids wore their Keens sandals this past weekend to an outdoor event that got the shoes covered in paint and colors. The colors are supposed to be washable. I tried hosing the shoes off but that didn't work. Can you machine wash Keens? What's the drill? Machine wash on gentle and air dry? Does this hurt them in any way or shorten their life span? These shoes are quite new, worn just a few times each so I'd like to clean them in whatever way would be most gentle and keep them in good shape. Thanks for any advice!

ETA: I found this on the Keen website, which is where I should have started out: Sandal Washing Instructions
    All KEEN water sandals (both leather and polyester webbing upper) are machine washable and have been treated with AEGIS Microbe Sheild, antimicrobial technology that helps prevent odor, staining and deterioration. We've also taken great care to develop leather uppers that will not crack, shrink or stretch when washed. Even KEEN leather Newport sandals are machine washable. Use a small amount of detergent, wash on gentle cycle and air dry.

Still, I'd love to here about BTDT experience with machine washing Keens, and any tips or tricks - thanks!
    Last edited by citymama; 04-10-2012 at 05:52 PM.

for Sandy Hook

athompson is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes, inside a pillowcase through the regular cycle (cold water) with other clothes and everything turned out fine.

I washed mine many times last summer. I just threw them in the washer and let them air dry. They cleaned up really well and I didn't think it hurt them at all. I wore them nearly every day and they still look like new.
    Susan

Mom to E (1/03) and R (6/05)

I've machine washed Keens many times with no noticeable negative effects.
    DD '06
    DD '14

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have washed a pair of DS's Keen shoes a couple time. If it wasn't for the wear on the sole, you would have sworn they were brand new shoes. I usually throw the shoes in when I am doing a load of towels and then dry them using the sweater rack which goes inside my dryer.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

Quote Originally Posted by mom2ethan View Post
    I washed mine many times last summer. I just threw them in the washer and let them air dry. They cleaned up really well and I didn't think it hurt them at all. I wore them nearly every day and they still look like new.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

I just threw mine in with a old load from time to time.

I'm surprised I can wash the leather ones tho. Mine STINK!
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"