Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Itching!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Itching!

I sort of remember this with the girls, but not really to this extent (although my memories have certainly faded.)

Last night I my hands, especially palms were itching so much that I couldn't fall asleep for awhile. Today I am itching ALMOST everywhere. It's so annoying! Is this normal?

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had PUPs the last 2 weeks I was pregnant with dd. It was on my belly and thighs. It was the most awful itchy rash i have ever had! I don't remember if it made my palms itch. It was awful! I hope you just have a little itching and not PUPs!
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

No rash...just intense itching! I do have super dry skin even normally and over the last week I have taken more baths than I've ever taken in a week before, because I've been having contractions and hemorrhoids which the bath helps. So I'm guessing maybe it's just a combo of the baths and hormone shifts....super annoying though.

Great now I am reading about that liver problem that can happen. Why do I always have to find these worst case scenarios on the weekend?

My belly itches all the time. Are you moisturizing? That helps me a little
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

I think I will take a cold shower and then put some lotion on.

The thing about this and why I am a bit concerned about cholestasis (sp) is that it's not localized....I'm itching almost everywhere. It was worse on my hands last night. Plus it wasn't so bad today but seems like it's been worse the last hour or so.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Great now I am reading about that liver problem that can happen. Why do I always have to find these worst case scenarios on the weekend?
    I think my cousins wife had the liver related itching issues but I don't remember the details. She was closely monitored by her doc. Everything ended up fine. Their dd was pretty jaundice but is a healthy happy 2 year old. I hope you are just itchy!! I would stop googling for now.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Sorry, I don't want to worry you, but I couldn't read your post and not reply.

With both my pregnancies, at about 35-36 weeks, I developed severe itching on the palms of my hands, and soles of my feet. And I mean INTENSE itching. It's often a symptom of a condition called Cholostasis (something to do with the liver). There's no rash, just intense itching, and it gets worse at night. No lotions helped at all. The only thing that helped a bit was sitting with my hands and feet in bowls of ice cubes!

My memory's a bit foggy, but my midwife gave me a blood test for it (something about checking the liver enzymes), and it came out positive for Cholastasis. I was then transferred to a 'high risk' OB, even though it's not really supposed to be that worrisome. The only 'treatment' was to give birth, so at 37 weeks they induced me.

Everything was totally fine, both DDs were perfect, and the itching completely went away after I gave birth. I had a blood test after giving birth, and everything had gone back to normal.

I would definitely speak to you Dr. about it and get tested. The belly itching is normal, but the palms and soles is typically not.
    Last edited by mm123; 04-13-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

Quote Originally Posted by mm123 View Post
    Sorry, I don't want to worry you, but I couldn't read your post and not reply.

With both my pregnancies, at about 35-36 weeks, I developed severe itching on the palms of my hands, and soles of my feet. And I mean INTENSE itching. It's often a symptom of a condition called Cholostasis (something to do with the liver). There's no rash, just intense itching, and it gets worse at night. No lotions helped at all. The only thing that helped a bit was sitting with my hands and feet in bowls of ice cubes!

My memory's a bit foggy, but my midwife gave me a blood test for it (something about checking the liver enzymes), and it came out positive for Cholastasis. I was then transferred to a 'high risk' OB, even though it's not really supposed to be that worrisome. The only 'treatment' was to give birth, so at 37 weeks they induced me.

Everything was totally fine, both DDs were perfect, and the itching completely went away after I gave birth. I had a blood test after giving birth, and everything had gone back to normal.

I would definitely speak to you Dr. about it and get tested. The belly itching is normal, but the palms and soles is typically not.
    Thanks....that is what I am reading about. The midwife is supposed to be calling me back right now. I just wonder if I should go in to get the blood work done like ASAP, just in case that is it. I'll be 37 weeks on Sunday. Otherwise I have an appointment on Monday but I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Thanks....that is what I am reading about. The midwife is supposed to be calling me back right now. I just wonder if I should go in to get the blood work done like ASAP, just in case that is it. I'll be 37 weeks on Sunday. Otherwise I have an appointment on Monday but I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't wait?

I don't know if labs do that kind of testing over the weekend. If not, I'd wait until Monday. Even if your midwife doesn't think that's what it is, I'd still insist on the liver enzyme test. Cholastasis is pretty rare- I personally don't know anyone else who's had it. Apparently many doctors/midwives aren't familiar with it like they are with PUPPS.

To be honest, I was actually kind of relieved when the test came back positive. The induction was no fun, but the itching was so severe, I could hardly sleep at all at night.

Good luck!
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast