Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Itching!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Ok, talked to my midwife she took me seriously (and knew exactly what I was talking about), which was really nice (I was afraid they would say it was rare so I shouldn't worry about it). She called me in a prescription (sounded like viscereal) for itching and anxiety (ha! they've got my number) and said she is writing on my chart to get the bloodwork done on Monday.

mm123, do you have to have repeat bloodwork done for this, or will the initial test tell you conclusively yes or no? Thanks for your input.

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Absolutely get the bloodwork, but just to throw this out there: I've had itchiness all over without a rash a few times in my life, when I wasn't pregnant, and it turned out to be some undiagnosed allergy. I'm not sure what part of the world you live in, but here in NY there are a lot of things happening outside to set off my allergies. In those cases I was prescribed Zyrtec, which worked wonders...its now over the counter, but I don't remember if its ok during pregnancy.
    So, do get the bloodwork to know for sure that it isn't something more serious, but it could be something really simple, but annoying, instead.

Thanks mmommy! I hope it is something like that....actually, I am remembering that this is how I felt right before I popped out with a rash that turned out to be a sulfa allergy.

It is just down-right UNBELIEVABLE how I find something to be super anxious about at every turn during this pregnancy. I am going to be 37 weeks on Sunday. This weekend I should finally be able to relax despite all these contractions, yet here I go again, finding something to be worried about.

The worst pregnancy symptom I have is anxiety, and it's a life-long issue that never goes away.

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

melanie - hoping the script helps and you can get through the weekend without too much discomfort and worry! kup for monday's bloodwork! i hope everything is ok
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

benadryl will help if it's an allergic itch. did you notice any yellowness of your eyes?
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Ok, talked to my midwife she took me seriously (and knew exactly what I was talking about), which was really nice (I was afraid they would say it was rare so I shouldn't worry about it). She called me in a prescription (sounded like viscereal) for itching and anxiety (ha! they've got my number) and said she is writing on my chart to get the bloodwork done on Monday.

mm123, do you have to have repeat bloodwork done for this, or will the initial test tell you conclusively yes or no? Thanks for your input.

Sorry, my memory's a bit fuzzy. I think I only had the one blood test done. From what I remember, I was tested earlier with DD2, because I was much more sensitive to the itching, and my numbers were lower, but still abnormal. I think the numbers get higher as you go along.

I know it's easy for me to say, but really, try not to worry too much about it (and don't google!!). Chances are you don't have it, but even if you do, everything will be ok. Like I said, after I delivered both times, I was completely fine, and both DDs were totally perfect!!
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

Quote Originally Posted by sntm View Post
    benadryl will help if it's an allergic itch. did you notice any yellowness of your eyes?
    She told me to take the prescription rather than Benedryl....no yellowness in eyes.

emily is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It happened to me with my first pregancy. i got super itchy at about 34ish weeks. It wasn't PUPS, liver tested fine. My doctor just told me to take benedryl. I had no rash amd it wasn't dry skin. It was unbearable, palms of my hands even between my fingers. i had blood on my sheets cuz I was scratching my legs so much.

I hope your Rx helps. It really was so miserable.

mariza is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Melanie, please make sure you get the bloodwork. My cousin and another friend both had cholisistitis. Both babies are fine now, but it can be very dangerous. Not trying to freak you out, but wanted to point out that even though it's rare, it happens.
    I hope you get some relief soon. Keep us posted!
    Monkey See (DD) 01/05
    Monkey Do (DS) 09/06

I developed ICP (Intrahepatic cholestastis of pregnancy) with my last pregnancy. The first symptom was the unbearable itching on my hands and feet. I don't have time to type out my whole story right now, but I will do so soon. I am glad your midwife is taking this seriously. I ended up delivering my baby girl via emergency c-section at 36/4 because my liver enzymes and bile acids went out of control so fast that I slipped into early HELLP.

I don't mean to scare you at all, I just want to be up front about how serious ICP can be. It sounds like you are in good hands and I am sure everything will be fine. Check out the itchymoms.com website for more info.
    R, Mom to
    noodle 10.16.04
    peepers 11.12.09

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast