Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We only allow 2 glasses of juice per day and not at breakfast time. The rest of the time they get water. It seems to work ok because juice isn't a forbidden drink but they know that it's mainly sugar and not as healthy as water. The twins are only 3 so it's still hard to reason with them about healthy foods. I just give smaller amounts when they ask for it and they know they only get one cup of juice at a time. If they are still thirsty, they drink water.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

When we do let the boys have juice, it usually v8 fusion watered down to about half strength. When we were kids, my mom would give us juice cut with seltzer. It was fizzy and awesome and we never ever got soda.
    An AF wife to DH and
    mom to Will 09/08 & Andy 09/10

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I agree with the pp who said just to hold your ground until they get thirsty enough, they'll just drink the water. My kids rarely ever get juice, only if they are getting snack at a different place and it's offered or if we are on a road trip, I will pack a few juice boxes. Otherwise, it's mostly water and some milk. If you nip the refusal to drink water now, it will be healthier for them in the long run to be able to drink water. Maybe just making sure it's really cold ice water. Most kids love ice in their drinks.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

what about plain seltzer?

DS willingly drinks asks for water

but he also loves bubble water - he asks me to make it in the soda stream a few times a week. we don't add anything to it - just the carbonation. but he loves it and guzzles it down
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

Watered down fruit smoothies? It helps it blend better.
    Audrey - Feb 2010
    Anderson - Dec 2011

Please, no babies in 2012!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2