Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default OKay, need some moral support UPDATE: Post 39

Today is my due date. I went to the midwife yesterday and had a 40 week sono to check on baby. Apparently, my uterine environment is very "hospitable" and baby is happy as a clam. Good for baby. I, on the other hand, am uncomfortable, and today is my first day of maternity leave which I feel like I am wasting without a baby. I keep telling myself that babies are easier to take care of when they are inside vs. out and that if she isn't ready, she just isn't ready. But since I am trying for a VBAC, they can't induce me or even break my water to move things along, so I have to go into labor on my own or they will do another C-Section. I was able to buy myself a few extra days on the C-Section (they wanted the 25th, but I gave them doe eyes and pleaded to push to Friday 27th so my husband wouldn't have to take so much time off of work...not really a full truth since my DH has plenty of PTO and will probably take a few more days off the following week but I wanted to get this kid a little more time and I'm not above batting my eye lashes at an OB ) but I feel like a ticking time bomb.

They stripped my membranes yesterday which did nothing but give me cramps. I did acupuncture on Saturday which seemed to drive the baby crazy but didn't have any impact on my cervix. I take evening primrose and black cohosh like it is my job. I am putting red pepper on my dinner nightly to add some spice. I'm officially done with "taking it easy" and am just doing everything I usually do under the thought that obviously, I am making things too nice for this kid. I talked to the midwife at length about my options and she told me that it was just her "gut feeling" but my body just isn't ready yet and nothing I do is going to make it ready, so it is just wait and see.

Not really looking for advice, just commiseration. Also, what would you do to take your mind off of it? I'm going shopping today with my sister, trying to sleep as much as I can to prepare for future sleepless nights and am trying to come up with other happy things to do.
    Last edited by BabyBearsMom; 04-25-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

No advice, or even BTDT, just hugs.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

well, first - congrats on being such a great cook! way to bake a baby!

second - i'm a midwife, too (though not practicing) and my first line advice was sex, sex, sex - that's some powerful prostaglandin application, and in a fun package. tell him to pay homage to your breasts/nipples as well as doing the deed. you can do a bit of research and do some self nipple-stim, too - but again, you're hoping to get something going so if it's not happening, give up & try again tomorrow or whatever.

if that starts anything, go for a long walk. lots of moving is good, but so is lots of rest so don't overdo in the hope of starting things. walk for your sanity and if you're having contractions, but don't walk in hope of *starting* them if your uterus is quiet.

in general, rest when you can, try to stimulate contractions but don't obsess, and enjoy the last of your pregnancy! being term is such a blessing.
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

2 weeks past edd. . Gym, yoga, swimming, volunteered at ds1's school, movies, shopping, dinner out...basically just lived life and tried to ignore the calendar. I did a really great job with it with ds2 bc I figured I'd be late (I was).

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm still 6 weeks out, so can't really commiserate, but wanted to send labor mojo your way. If I had time off before the baby, I would get a pedicure, maybe a haircut if it was due. Maybe do some grocery shopping or precook some meals if you feel up to it. Hopefully she will decide to make her appearance soon!
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

No advice here, just a hug.

And way to go for pushing your c/s back to the 27th! I had a VBAC with my second and it was so worth it!

I hope baby gets on board soon!
    Dena

Super Crunchy Mama to:
    ('06) The big guy

('09) The little guy

('12) and the diva

Learning to live with MSPI, FPIES and Food Allergies.

I just went through this, but I still probably don't have any advice you'll love to hear. It's hard. You will get through it. It is worth it to wait it out. That's the best I can offer.

I do wonder why they wouldn't be able to break your water if you were far enough dilated. I don't know of any studies that would rule that out as an option. Foley bulb catheter inductions are also done for VBACs if people aren't dilated enough to start with AROM. These are the things I discussed with my care providers as I started getting close to my C/S date. Of course I don't know the reason for your first C/S so I'm just talking hypothetical options here. Also I think it's awesome that you pushed for your C/S to be moved back to the 27th, but why won't they go further than that? You won't be 42 weeks until May 2nd. Some people just gestate their babies longer and you aren't truly overdue until 42 weeks.

As far as what to do in the meantime, the others have had good suggestions. I also tried to do something fun everyday that I probably wouldn't once the baby came, like go see a movie at the theater. But honestly there is no easy way to get through it. The weeks I went overdue were the hardest time of my pregnancy by far. But you will get through it. And it will be worth it. I know I said that already, but it's the truth.

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

A LOT can happen in 9 days. . . and I'm pretty sure is statistically LIKELY to happen in 9 days. . . but I know that doesn't make it much easier when you're living it.

Labor mojo headed your way along with with prayers for a successful VBAC!
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No VBAC experience, but I was 9 days late with DD1 and I can relate to the just wanting it to be over. I'm convinced that had I not been induced DD1 will still be in there 5 yr later! DD2 on the other hand came 8 days early after having my membranes stripped. I think it took at least 12hr after the stripping for things to kick in, so maybe things will get moving for you later today.

Sending you good labor vibes!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast