Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Kids Sandbox With Cover

Where can I get a sandbox with a cover (I don't want raccoons to think of our new sandbox as their kitty litter)? It should be big enough for three kids. Thanks!

kristac is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

"Someday, I am going to go to bed without toys on the floor and sippys in my sink. Things will stay where I put them and I can have nice, fragile items on display. But when I do, I will look around with a wistfullness in my heart and miss the days where vibrant imaginations ran wild and there was evidence of life happening around me all the time!"

We have the same one, and it's great. Nice and big, and really keeps out rain water.

I'm so happy to read this thread! We ordered that sandbox for DS's birthday, and though we don't have it yet, I'm excited about it! I'm happy to read good things about it.
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I had the sandbox linked upthread. It was way too small for my two boys and OP has three older boys. I sold it about a month ago after only one summer of use.

OP, I do not think there is anything like that readily available. If you want one large enough for your kids, I'd probably have a carpenter build a large one with a wood top. That's what my FIL did for his grandkids in his house (he built it himself though).
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

http://www.step2.com/p/Naturally-Pla.../?related=true

I have had both the first one posted and this one. I prefer the stand up as the kids don't carry in as much sand.
    Last edited by ray7694; 04-23-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: url

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ray7694 View Post
    http://www.step2.com/p/Naturally-Pla.../?related=true

I have had both the first one posted and this one. I prefer the stand up as the kids don't carry in as much sand.
    Or just http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/toys/bestsellers/PRD~171050/Step2+Naturally+Playful+Sand+Table.jsp
    If you have a Kohl's charge it's just $30.

OP, if you want a big one, have it built (easy project) and order a custom tarp cover. That's the easiest way to get a really big one.
    Last edited by wellyes; 04-24-2012 at 08:09 AM.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    OP, if you want a big one, have it built (easy project) and order a custom tarp cover. That's the easiest way to get a really big one.
    We got rid of the plastic Step 2 sandbox after seeing our boys and their 3 cousins all play in FIL's real sandbox with plenty of room to spare! We will have one built when we move.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

DH made a sandbox using the plans from this website:
    http://doverprojects.blogspot.com/20...box-plans.html

The instructions are pretty detailed and it was easy to scale it up or down. I think we did 6x6. It was nice to have an outline of exactly the type of hardware needed and exact counts, etc.
    -----------------------
    Karen

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My DH built ours; it was super easy and I think (including digging, which took forever because we have really hard, rocky, clay soil in our yard) it took him two afternoons. He is not really a "handy" person, so I imagine anyone with access to a power drill (and enough upper body strength to lift the boards) could do it. He basically just dug out a square in the ground the size we wanted (figuring about half the sandbox height would be below ground, half above), took four boards and screwed them together into a rectangle, and then screwed an additional board over each end to form a bench. We measured the size of commercially available tarps first, and mad the sandbox the same length but and 8 inches narrower. Then, for the lid, we took two 2x4s and nailed them to the long sides of a tarp. When the "lid" is on, the board lie along the sides of the sandbox and the tarp is stretched taut above. When we want the lid off, we just roll the tarp up along one of the boards.

ETA: Wanted to add that yes, I guess bugs & spiders do get in, but it's never seemed to bother DD and it doesn't really bother me. I figure she's playing outside and outside there are bugs, so I can't let myself get too worked up about it. We mostly wanted to keep the cats and dead leaves/pine needles out, and the tarp does that. Yeah, sometimes a little water does pool on the top of the tarp, but it flows off as soon as we lift one side to roll it up, plus we live in a pretty dry climate so we don't really have to worry about that much. Do the tight-sealing plastic lids really keep all the bugs out?
    Last edited by rin; 04-27-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast