Default Decorating advice for new big boy room

In the process of planning out new big boy room for DS. Decided to go with a full size bed so we can read to him in his bed and save the expense and space of a big chair. Also going with a nightstand, three drawer dresser and a low bookshelf. The set also has a matching tall dresser and bookshelf. What do you think would you get one or both? Already having trouble fitting all of DS clothes in his nursery dresser now hat he's bigger so definitely concerned about that and if we should have two dressers but at the same time the room isn't that big so I don't want to overwhelm it and compromise floor space for playing. Considering the tall bookshelf for books and toys. Any advice?

How do you make up a bed for a young child? Even with diapers still having bed wetting issues. Also do you use the cute comforter/quilts for sleeping or save them for daytime decoration to avoid soiling? Not sure how many sets of sheets to have handy either. The cute decorative sets are expensive and I could see DS only wanting to sleep on that one and arguing about any plain replacements.

Any other advice or recommendations on accessories? Really want to go all out to get him excited about moving into this room so he won't mind having a baby take over his old nursery but clueless about decorating! Love to hear ideas and places where you shopped. Thanks so much!

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would only get one dresser, honestly, I prefer to leave more room for them to play in the room. If you need more drawers, is there a way to fit a simple drawer unit form Ikea or Home Depot inside his closet?

We only have a low bookshelf in DS's room so he can reach all the shelves.

I got a nice bedding set from Land of Nod (quilt and shams), but not the matching sheets, since they seem too pricey for a young child. DS doesn't like to sleep with covers, so we don't use the quilt at night, we just fold it at the foot of the bed. You can get cheaper sheets with characters or figures. i.e. DS's theme is vehicles and we got sheets with cars for his bed, so they "match" the quilt and all, but they're not the expensive set from LoN. We have 3 sets of sheets.

When he was having a lot of accidents I made his bed the same way I used to make his crib: waterproof mattress protector, then a fitted sheet, then a large waterproof pad and another fitted sheet on top. That way if he had an accident in the middle of the night, I'd just pull off the top sheet and waterproof pad, and we had a clean sheet already there, so no making the bed at 2 am. Oh and the flat sheet and a lightweight blanket on top.
    Now we just do the waterproof mattress protector + fitted sheet, and flat sheet+blanket.

As far as decorating, besides the bedding set we got race car wall decals at LoN for his wall and I got a rug at Ikea that has streets and vehicles, he loves playing on it (I thought of getting the $$$ form LoN but when I saw the Ikea one I decided to save my money for other things!). He also has a train growth chart my mom gave him as a gift.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

DS is 7 and I got him a 6 drawer dresser and its perfect for him. Unless you have a very large room I agree with PP that I would only get 1 dresser but I would get the taller one. I would go with a low book shelf to prevent climbing accidents. I found DS's sheets on sale at Company Kids and PBKs. I think right now is when PBK starts marking down for the new lines that will come out in the fall. I have two regular sets of sheets and one flannel set for each kid. I haven't had trouble with bed wetting though. As far as getting him excited I would try and include things that he is interested in into the decor. I have used those vinyl stickers in DC room, they are inexpensive and easy to remove when its time to redecorate. I would go neutral with the foundation pieces like the bed spread and furniture and get pillow, pictures, accessories in what interests you DS now (ie Dinos, Rockets, Cars etc) . If you let us know if there is a certain theme you are thinking of we might be able to link you to some options.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

Thanks everyone! You have really helped me figure out that I should go with less furniture.

Edurnemk I'm clueless about about the waterproof mattress pad is there a brand you recommend? DS is car obsessed of course so I will definitely check out the Land of Nod quilt. Where did you find your sheets with cars?

Thanks Katydid1971 I had never heard of the Company Store before so I will be checking them out and cruising PBK for sales! I wish I knew what I was looking for to ask but I'm really just looking for anything boy themed. We have had the wall decals for the nursery and I love them but it never really looked finished to me, like it needed something more, if that makes sense. Since the nursery was always going to be temporary I didn't worry about it but now I want DS to have a room that looks more finished.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ExcitedMamma View Post
    Edurnemk I'm clueless about about the waterproof mattress pad is there a brand you recommend? DS is car obsessed of course so I will definitely check out the Land of Nod quilt. Where did you find your sheets with cars?
    I'm not sure what brand we have, but it's something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Luna-Hypoaller...5382553&sr=8-1

An in the middle of the 2 fitted sheets we use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Soaker-Mattres...382671&sr=8-10

This is DS's bedding set: http://www.landofnod.com/kids-boy-be...-bedding/f1202

I'm not sure about the sheets; I'll check and get back to you.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012