Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Clothing brands/stores you associate with older women?

Do you associate certain brands or stores as being more for older (more mature) women? For me, although I've never shopped there, I always think Chico's.

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Talbot's. My grandmother LOVES Talbots, I never find anything I like there.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Chico's and Christopher Banks. eta- Coldwater Creek

Chicos and Talbots. My mother shops both and is forever giving me presents from them. I am not at all sure that I want to know what it says about my figure that Chico's jeans actually fit me and so I have two pairs as a result of exchanging presents from my mother there.

Catherine

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Drapers and Damons

Lands End, I hate to say it but unless you look like the models in the catalog nothing fits me right, except occaisionally a pair of shoes (love the ballet flats I am wearing today!). The tops are too boxy and the jeans and pants I have tried do not flatter my largish hips and but.

Talbots, but I will say that I used to get a lot of basics like plain no pattern knit sweaters or tops there when I was in my early 20s and they didn't look like old lady clothes. I got some boots there recently that I really like and a belt. What I don't like about them is that they totally cater to the mall they are located at so one store could have something really cute, but they are out of it in my size and the next store that has it is 150 miles away and or I have to order it online and their shipping prices suck!

I do have a cute dress from Coldwater Creek my mom bought me that is classic and has a Hawaiian floral print on the bottom that is pretty timeless, and my mom has gotten some cute stuff there, but really it's just NMS most of the time.

Pretty much any store that sells overly baggy and flowy clothes. I know it is popular here but I also think that Eileen Fisher is a little old looking for me and in a couple of months I will be a new demographic of 35+, which is almost closer to 40 than 30 so it should be perfect for me.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

J Jill nowadays.. Though I think they are bad for anyone since Talbots took over

Talbots

Chico
    Cold water creek
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

As already stated, Chico's, Talbots, Coldwater Creek.

But also Steinmart. OMG, whenever I am in there, I am the youngest person by 20 years. And I am no spring chicken.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    As already stated, Chico's, Talbots, Coldwater Creek.

But also Steinmart. OMG, whenever I am in there, I am the youngest person by 20 years. And I am no spring chicken.
    All of this!
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

Yep, agree with PP of Chicos, Coldwater Creek, Talbots, and Eileen Fisher (we have that section at Macy's).
    I would also say (hoping not to get flamed ) Kohl's, JCPenney, and Sears. At least that's where I see a lot of older ladies shopping and that's where I got a lot of random wedding and baby shower gifts from DH's relatives. Nothing wrong with that, but most of the stuff there is just NMS.
    Oh, and for shoes, I'll say Rockport & Naturalizer (and I'm sure there are a lot more that I can't think of right now). It's unfortunate that I've got PF and have to start going to those places for shoes with more arch support/ whatever. My go-to sandals for summer are flip flops from Orthaheels, and those of you who've looked at their styles would definitely think 'Grandma!'
    It's no fun having old lady feet when I'm in my early 30's!

Chico's hands down. I told my DH when he was still DBF that he has permission to shoot me if I start shopping there because it means I've given up. They always seem to have mu-mus in the window with some huge necklace draped over it. J Jill has always seemed to skew older, I don't see a difference. And my MIL loves Coldwater, it's her favorite store. I think that says it all.

Despite the fact I love their outerwear, I agree about LE. LEC is better, but I'm not a fan of non-coat LE (although I do have LE swimsuits, so I know I'm hopelessly on the fogey boat). My boobs are too big for other suits. (Although there seem to be a few lingerie companies offering suits that look promising).
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast