Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

I've never even heard of Alfred Dunner or Koret. I'm afraid if I google I'll be inundated with Depends ads!

At least Talbot got rid of those awful humongous red doors.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

VClute is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Well, it's official. I'm an old lady. Talbots suits my style better than a lot of brands. And I don't have much Chicos in my closet right now, but I probably would have more if there were a store local to me. And Lands End has become my go-to for basics!

sigh... I knew it.
    Amy in NC
    mom to Dixon, 2/14/2005
    and Abigail, 4/7/2007

WOW.

While I don't think that the OP was offensive at all, I find some of these responses to be totally ugly and ageist.

Admitting you are older and want to be comfortable does not mean you have "given up". And, while I agree that Koret and Alfred Dunner are brands that cater to older women, if you Google Koret or Alfred Dunner (both brands you have likely seen if you have ever been in any major department store such as Macy's, Belk, Filenes, Bloomingdales, etc) you will not be inundated with Depends ads.

I find the suggestion that KOHLS is a store for "older ladies" laughable (I guess myself and every other 30 something year old woman I know who shops there have "given up")....in some parts of the country and in some economic brackets, it is one of the few stores available.

And, as a last note, I would like to point out that we have some older posters HERE at BBB who might be hurt by such comments. There is no age limit to belong to this board. But apparently there is in this thread.

I wonder if any of you will remember this thread 20 or 30 or 50 years from now when you are out shopping and looking for clothes that cater to your lifestyle and your pocket book and your physical needs and still make you feel good when you put them on.
    Last edited by amldaley; 04-27-2012 at 07:18 AM.
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was thinking Alfred Dunner.

One of my favorite SAHMs (young 40s) has been wearing Coldwater Creek for years, and I don't think she dresses "old lady" at all. She is really tall and there just isn't a lot that fits her.

MOST of the people I know in my age range (late 30s/young 40s) wear a lot of stuff from Kohl's.

Maybe that's just because it's a two hour drive to Nordstrom's.
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

Quote Originally Posted by VClute View Post
    Well, it's official. I'm an old lady. Talbots suits my style better than a lot of brands. And I don't have much Chicos in my closet right now, but I probably would have more if there were a store local to me. And Lands End has become my go-to for basics!

sigh... I knew it.
    You and me both. And look! We are both in NC...we should go shopping together for, you know, old lady stuff.
    ---------
    A-M

---------

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't think it's an offensive thread. I would want to know if I was wearing older trending clothes!

I think Eileen Fisher clothes are beautiful. NMS but I think they are stylish. No comment on the others, but I do agree that LE trends older other than outerwear. Their outerwear rocks for casual wear!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post
    I don't think it's an offensive thread. I would want to know if I was wearing older trending clothes!

I think Eileen Fisher clothes are beautiful. NMS but I think they are stylish. No comment on the others, but I do agree that LE trends older other than outerwear. Their outerwear rocks for casual wear!
    Again, I did not say the entire thread was offensive. In fact, I stated that the OP was not offensive at all. Just some of the responses that, instead of just answering the question, have included mocking, snarky, and/or criticisms which are totally ageist.
    ---------
    A-M

---------

Quote Originally Posted by amldaley View Post
    Again, I did not say the entire thread was offensive. In fact, I stated that the OP was not offensive at all. Just some of the responses that, instead of just answering the question, have included mocking, snarky, and/or criticisms which are totally ageist.
    I agree with you.

As someone who is closer to 40 than to 30, I find it hard to find clothing that fits my shape, style, price point AND age. I have no desire to dress like my teen neighbor nor do I want to dress like my Mom. I have learned not to rule out anywhere because I have found some really cute things in places I least expect.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Two words: Dress Barn.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

Quote Originally Posted by amldaley View Post
    WOW.

While I don't think that the OP was offensive at all, I find some of these responses to be totally ugly and ageist.

Admitting you are older and want to be comfortable does not mean you have "given up". And, while I agree that Koret and Alfred Dunner are brands that cater to older women, if you Google Koret or Alfred Dunner (both brands you have likely seen if you have ever been in any major department store such as Macy's, Belk, Filenes, Bloomingdales, etc) you will not be inundated with Depends ads.
    The thread title let's you know that this is going to be a pretty opinionated thread. I can guarantee you I am one of the older posters on this board. The comment about Depends is called a JOKE. I admitted I had never even heard of Alfred Dunner or Koret (and BTW I'd never heard of Belk until this board it's not a national chain, regular Filenes didn't exist in California where I'm from, and I have never seen either brand in Macy's or Bloomies, maybe I see the clothes and just don't stop long enough to look at the label). And actually, how do you KNOW I wouldn't be inundated with Depends ads? Google tailors ads to what you search.

The comment about "giving up" was as I stated in my OP, made by me to my then BOYFRIEND (who's now been my husband for 12 years) so yeah, I may have been ageist back then, before I got old. I said I was a passenger on the Fogey Boat because I wear LE bathing suits. It's all meant in good fun. Life is easier if you don't look for offense where none was meant. I can say that looking back from the other side of 40 (gasp!)
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast