♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default is there a carseat narrow enough...

..to roll & push down the aisle of an airplane?? LIke with those GoGoKidz things? and of course, one that is cheap and does not weigh a million pounds (we have Radians, but no way we are traveling with them)

DH and I are arguing about this. On our next plane trip (August probably), we will have to buy seats for both kids. HOwever he refuses to bring 2 carseats on a plane though, claiming it will be too difficult/impossible to board with them (plus 2 LOs, one of which will barely be able to walk) without breaking his back.

I bought one of those cheap metal luggage carts from Walmart and was going to strap one carseat to it and lug DD down the aisle that way. (I'm too cheap to spring $80 on the GoGoKidz when we only do air travel 2-3 x a year )But DH (a well seasoned traveler) claims that the Scenera is much too wide to fit down the aisle.We fly American mostly (most planes which are 3 and 3), don't know if it varies by plane. But I swear iv'e heard people claim they wheel their DC in a carseat down the aisle of a plane, so it seems possible, but DH keeps insisting there's no way. in the past he just carried the Scenera on his head or over his shoulder..he claims it's much too wide to wheel down the aisle.

We have 2 Sceneras we use for travel, but they seem a little wide....are there carseats significantly narrower? ANy BTDT, or advice? If anybody has ever flown with 2 LOs (where at least one is not walking) and 2 carseats, would love to hear from you. Last time we flew DD was a lapbaby and while it was a B*TCH to hold her the whole time, at elast we diddn't have to drag an extra carseat down the aisle.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 05-01-2012 at 09:50 PM.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Sceneras are lightest and pretty narrower

Strap non-walker to one parent in a carrier and that parent carries the car seat, 2nd parent carries 2nd car seat while shepherding walking child down the aisle of the plane - I've done both of these when travelled alone with DS.

Other option is one parent boards early with 1 car seat to install, comes back to gate and gets 2nd car seat and goes on with entire family.

Cares harness for your eldest - but DS hated ours and kept trying to take it off.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We've traveled before when Gator was 3 and Cha Cha was a baby. We always ALWAYS brought the double stroller with us. Then I'd carry Cha cha in the carrier, put Gator on one side of the stroller, and put the Marathon in one side while DH carried either the infant bucket carrier or another Marathon. Sometimes we'd stack the Marathons on top each other in the stroller. Then we'd gate check the stroller and each carry a carseat down the aisle while Gator walked (and Cha Cha was still in his babybjorn). DH would install the seats since I was wearing Cha cha.

We only did this until Gator turned 35 pounds. Then we had him wear the RideSafer Vest instead of dragging along a carseat for hiim. http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Traffic-S...5924384&sr=8-2 I see now that the lower weight limits are 30 lbs for the newer vests.

These things are a LIFE SAVER. When we fly to WDW this summer, i plan to bring these along for the twins. They are easy to pack and unpack and will be easier to bring than even booster seats.

ETA: another option is to put both the kids in the double stroller and then strap the carseats on the luggage cart things and pull them behind you. If you have a double stroller that is easy to steer with one hand, that would be ideal.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 05-01-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Your husband is correct, the scenera is too wide to roll down the aisle. I too strap the cars eat to a luggage carrier and roll it through the airport, its always worked great for me. I don't ever travel with a stroller, even when I travel by myself with 2. We just traveled this weekend, and for the first time ever my 3yr 1 month old son traveled without a cars eat, and it actually went incredibly well! Good luck with your travels!

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thanks for the replies. we can't bring a double stroller anymore since #()$*% American Airlines doesn't let you gate check a stroller over 20 lbs (BOO). last time we traveled with 2 lightweight singles and it worked out, even thoguh it was a PITA for one person to push 2 umbrella strollers through an airport (other parent had to wheel cart of luggage).

with that, carrying the carseats and stuff thru the airport is not the problem..it is BOARDING the plane that's the issue...taking TWO carseats, plus our carryons (snacks, water, diapers, DVD player, etc) and the two kids while being pushed along by everyoen else just makes my head spin!!

i am liking niccig's suggestion of having one parent board first to install the carseat, then come back with the rest of the family/stuff..that would be perfect if it was allowed (will have to check)..thing is, i don't know if DH would go for that, if it is even allowed...he would probably feel like he had to board super super early in order to be able to install the seat and get out before other people started boarding.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    thanks for the replies. we can't bring a double stroller anymore since #()$*% American Airlines doesn't let you gate check a stroller over 20 lbs (BOO)..
    Oh, yikes, I didn't know that. We are traveling in June and had planned to bring our stroller again. I'm not sure which airline we are flying but I'd better look into that.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

We have to gogokidz thing. While it was great for strolling the carseat through the airport, we actually took it off before boarding the plane and carried it on with the seat. It was either too wide to pull down the aisle OR the aisles weren't straight. Many of the larger planes with different sized seats in different sections will have areas where you sidestep a little to continue down the aisle. It was just too slow to pick up the seat and move it into the next section of aisle. Then you had to fool with getting the seat off of the gogokidz once you got to your seat.

If you have a way to get around the airport, I would also suggest that one parent wait off of the plane while the other parent preboards/takes the seats on and installs them. Then he can come back and help you get the kids onto the plane. Even with just one child, I found it easier for me to be in charge of getting DS on/off while DH just handled the seat. Even if DH just runs the seats onto the plane and doesn't stop to install them until after he comes back to get you, that will help you to all get on board.

eta: We have a radian at home too and used the evenflo tribute on the plane. Be careful with that luggage cart. I had one break on me once when I wasn't even using it for anything heavy. I'd hate to see that happen with a child attached.
    Last edited by indigo99; 05-02-2012 at 12:28 AM.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

well, we actually did pull the scenera's down the aisle. we strap them upside down onto our rolling carry on suitcases (2 suitcases, 2 sceneras). it puts the bottom and wide part of the carseat high enough that it fits down the aisle. then i would wear the baby and pull one suitcase/carseat and dh would wear his backpack, pull 1 suitcase/carseat and dd would walk between. we also took a single umbrella for dd to ride in in the airport.

so we carried everything on:

2 rolling suitcases with 2 carseats strapped on
    dh/s backpack
    my purse/diaper bag
    single umbrella stroller
    ergo with baby in it.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
    well, we actually did pull the scenera's down the aisle. we strap them upside down onto our rolling carry on suitcases (2 suitcases, 2 sceneras). it puts the bottom and wide part of the carseat high enough that it fits down the aisle. .
    This is a fantastic idea, we don't usually take a rolling suitcase on board, but I might think about it if it makes getting the carseat down the aisle easier!