Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Carrier for summer

I have the Beco Gemini and it's great, but a pretty heavy material. It's going to be a hot summer here and I am worried about DD getting sweaty. I don't think I could figure out a wrap - and maybe she will be too big anyway - so I still want one with some structure if that's possible. Any out there with a lighter material?
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just bought this one, but still waiting for it to arrive. I know you said you don't want a wrap (which this one is) but I have to say, they're really pretty simple to use. I was very intimidated by my moby before I started using it and I was surprised by how easy it was pretty much immediately. I watched a you tube video of someone putting it on, and after that, no problem at all.

I bought this new one because I wanted to be able to have something that I could wear in the pool/beach.
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/73084883...babywearing-at
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You could look at linen slings (like Sakura Bloom), mei teis or cotton woven/gauze wraps. For wraps, brands to look at include EllaRoo and Wrapsody/GypsyMama.

Wraps aren't complicated once you get the hang of it, but personally I'd avoid a stretchy one with a larger (say, more than 20lbs) kiddo because it'll sag & dig into your shoulders.

There are a TON of great videos on YouTube for wrap carries.

Also, don't overdress your DD while wearing - a onesie and a broad-brimmed hat would probably be fine for most summer babywearing! I used to dress my DD in rompers like this one from Carter's:

http://www.carters.com/null/1-Piece-...irl-one-pieces
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    I just bought this one, but still waiting for it to arrive. I know you said you don't want a wrap (which this one is) but I have to say, they're really pretty simple to use. I was very intimidated by my moby before I started using it and I was surprised by how easy it was pretty much immediately. I watched a you tube video of someone putting it on, and after that, no problem at all.

I bought this new one because I wanted to be able to have something that I could wear in the pool/beach.
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/73084883...babywearing-at
    Ohh I like that one. Looks so cool! I love the moby so far but I've already started getting hot. It just seems unnecessarily bulky.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks so much everyone. Do you think she actually would get too hot in a Beco Gemini? The one I have is solid black and seems so heavy.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Quote Originally Posted by flashy09 View Post
    Thanks so much everyone. Do you think she actually would get too hot in a Beco Gemini? The one I have is solid black and seems so heavy.
    I wore DD1 in the summer in an Ergo (similar fabric to a Beco) and it was warm but totally fine. I just made sure both of us were dressed lightly -a tank top for me and a onesie for DD1.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    I wore DD1 in the summer in an Ergo (similar fabric to a Beco) and it was warm but totally fine. I just made sure both of us were dressed lightly -a tank top for me and a onesie for DD1.

My DD sweats like a beast. I used my wrap until she fit properly in the Ergo (middle of summer) and simply dressed her VERY lightly - a tee & diaper, onesie, sleeveless romper, etc. - and she was fine.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Sakura Bloom Linen sling, or other brand of linen sling, anything made with gauze, such as a wrap.

Oooh! I just came across these linen slings, which are half the cost of the cheapest Sakura Bloom sling. But they look the same!
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/99083853..._type=handmade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daisymommy; 05-21-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Quote Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
    Sakura Bloom Linen sling, or other brand of linen sling, anything made with gauze, such as a wrap.

Oooh! I just came across these linen slings, which are half the cost of the cheapest Sakura Bloom sling. But they look the same!
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/99083853..._type=handmade
    I think that Sakura Bloom has a more heavily padded shoulder than those do, but otherwise they appear to be fairly comparable.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

I have a Gemini. I was seriously considering getting a different SSC (semi-structured carrier) for summer, but I think I've decided to stick with the Gemini. I like it in pretty much every other way. I will just dress DS very sparsely and then probably drape an A&A blanket loosely around for some sun protection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast