Default Yoga or Zumba...

Trying to decide. I have both available locally as classes. I can work one of them into my schedule (which is nothing short of a miracle between the kids activities). I could then also purchase dvds to help with the rest of the days. I am quite heavy (homeschooling has not helped my already robust figure) and have pretty bad arthritis in my joints.

If you were me, which would you try? Why?

TIA!!!
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

I'd caveat it by the instructor - I do both zumba and yoga and they're VERY different. I think its easier to find a good high energy zumba teacher than a good yoga teacher who can explain how to really align your body into the poses.

That said if I had to choose, I'd probaly go with yoga as having someone ensure I was doing the poses correctly is invaluable. So maybe a few months of yoga, then switch to the zumba party and do yoga at home once you are comfortable with the basics?

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Zumba is pretty high impact, so I imagine it's not great for someone with joint problems. I would definitely pick yoga. It can work for all levels of fitness. Plus, like PP said, a real live yoga teacher is critical since doing yoga wrong can be not good for you.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

They are VERY different. Zumba is high energy and high impact, BUT super fun and everyone is in a fun mood, kwim? If you need a pick me up, it's a great time and it doesn't matter if you know what you are doing or not, just keep moving and have fun. I have found it to be a very non-judgmental workout environment. Most ppl are so busy trying to keep up with moves, it's not like ppl are just watching you make a wreck of yourself, lol. Yoga to me is frustrating, since I am not that good at it, I can't hold the poses well and I would feel self conscious in a room full of ppl who know what they are doing. So, I think it depends on what you are looking for.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Yoga lowers metabolism. There was a story with a study to back it up on NPR last month. If you want to lose weight you must get your heart rate up. Zumba!

I adore Zumba It's taken me 5-6 times of doing it to start really "getting" it, but it's good fun, and I have seen results pretty quickly! I'm down 14lbs and a full size in pants (almost 2 sizes!), and I only do it 3x/wk. It's all about fun, and it's a big party. And no one can tell when you mess up, because they are trying to keep up too, and just as lost as you

I'm going to start yoga soon, but as a way to relax and meditate, not as way to really "work" on my body, kwim?
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I love both! They are really the only exercise that I do not loathe! Anyway that you could alternate? Zumba does sometimes make my knees and ankles ache, proper shoes (not running) are a must. When I'm worn out from Zumba, I tone it down with Yoga for a bit. If I wasn't worried about calorie burn, I would go with Yoga only as it is truly my favorite.

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would do yoga. I don't believe for a second (I listened to the NPR story) that yoga lowers your metabolism based on my personal experience with it. Perhaps when one practices solely meditative yoga but with vinyasa or flow classes...no way. Yoga is so adaptable. Many poses have variations so that almost everyone can do them in a safe and beneficial capacity.
    Last edited by infomama; 05-26-2012 at 10:30 AM.

boogiemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Try them both and start with whichever you enjoy the most. You will likely want to expand later and can add the other. I started Zumba 21 weeks ago. Went to a beginner class, stayed for the regular class immediately following, and invested in punch cards for future classes that same night. Been going 4-5 times/week since. That + myfitnesspal has changed my life forever. I am seriously overweight but I sit here 47 lbs. less overweight than when I started. Have added 2-mile walks a few times a week and C25K a week and a half ago. Love Zumba! Try it!
    Tani

DS1 - 8/01
    DS2 - 4/05

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

WOW boogiemom good for you!!

There are so many types of yoga, so many levels. My 65 year old MIL does it weekly and finds it very peaceful. My class is NOT relaxing at all, and the only ones who can keep up with the instructor are the 20somethings who are already in fantastic shape. It's really hard to make generalizations about what yoga is like or what it can do for you.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5