Default Let's talk shopping cart covers

that is, if I'm on the right forum. (if not, I apologize)

Let me start by saying I'm not a big germaphobe; I'm on team dirt don't hurt. That's why I never considered them until now and DD is almost nine months. I've never been convinced thay shopping cart covers are effective for infection control.

However, that said - I'm hearing more and more that they do make good restraint devices. I haven't put DD sitting up in a cart yet, but I'm noticing restaurant high chairs are not always very secure. Someone suggested getting a shopping cart cover (which doubles as a high chair cover) just to secure her better. So for the first time I'm considering getting one.

I looked at BBB yesterday, and I'm lost. They're all so puffy and IDK if I want something I can't fit into her already-stuffed diaper bag. Any recommendations?

Also, the Balboa cover - it's really pretty, but man is it pricy! Does it have special features the cheapers ones don't? Is it worth the extra $$$?
    Mom to a beautiful girl since 9-2-2011

Minnifer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Will be watching this thread - I'm also on team "dirt don't hurt" (love that, btw!) but watching DS mouth and lick down shopping carts and high chairs makes me want to . Also, no matter how well secured he is in either, he always manages to almost escape or tumble out - he's houdini! And these are all things DD had no interest in doing so although I swore these covers were ridiculous, I'm totally reconsidering it...
    Lucky single mama to DD 5/08 and DS 6/11

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have the Eddie Bauer from Target. I know it's not the favored one here, but I'm so happy with it that when DH took my car that had the cover, my first stop while driving his car was Target for another cover!

Ours are machine washable, have survived two children, and help immensely for restraint purposes. Without the cover, the kids are always fussing/trying to stand. With it, much less fussing, and they don't try to stand. The directions say not to rely on it for restraint, of course, but it helps A LOT!
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We had the Floppy Seat. My DCP gave it to me (she had used it with her son) and I ended up loving it. It was one of those "what do I need that for" products I just didn't understand until DD1 was about 6 months old. Totally worth it in my book!
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh I don't think you'll find one that fits in a diaper bag, they're all bulky. We kept ours in the car. I don't freak out about germs too much, but shopping carts do give me de hibby jibbies. It's been consistently found in several studies that they are the germiest thing ever, much worse than a public restroom or anything else.

Anyway we did like ours because it kept DS comfy and we could attach toys to it. I'd have to go check the brand because I don't remember which one it is.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

wendibird22 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We had a floppy seat and I only ever used it once. I hated how cumbersome it was. For shopping carts I'd just take a wipe and wipe the handle and parts close by real quickly. For restaurants our FP booster lived in our car and it was always easy to just hook that too a seat. Easy to attach, toys on the tray to play with before food arrives, easy to clean up with a wipe.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

jam224 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes, I'm sorry to say that you probably aren't going to find a shopping cart cover that fits into a diaper bag. For shopping carts, I use the Original Buggy Bagg in the Safari print and I love, love, love it! I bought it on BabySteals a couple of years ago, but honestly, with shipping, it wasn't that much cheaper than Amazon. I managed to save a few bucks, but it was still kinda pricey. Yes, it's bulky, but I keep it in the car on the floor in front of my baby's car seat, so it's not taking up anyone's leg room. I use it ALL THE TIME, which to me, makes it worth EVERY penny! If you watch the YouTube video on the product page, you'll see how easy it is to plop into the shopping cart; I just park next to a cart corral, load up my baby, and go! Yup, I'm not a super germaphobe either, but with a petite baby girl, the padding and the lap buckle do an EXCELLENT job of cushioning her and keeping her secure. I would purchase it again in a heartbeat!

If you're looking for a slightly more affordable option, it looks like the Leachco Shopping Cart Cover has excellent reviews on Amazon.

I will say the downside to the Buggy Bagg is that it doesn't really fit in high chairs at restaurants. It's just too bulky/padded and long, that it doesn't really want to squish into a square space. That's totally fine with me though because I have a separate high chair cover. I have this one from Target: Eddie Bauer Shopping Cart Cover. I actually like that it's a separate cover because the high chair cover is definitely more prone to get messy/sticky and this one is easier to toss in the washer. I also like that I can easily stuff it into it's own (attached) pouch. It's very lightweight, much more compact, relatively inexpensive, and the handles on the pouch make it super easy to carry. I also keep this cover in the car on the floor.

That's how we roll though: a shopping cart cover, a high chair cover, and a Boba with us at all times! Here's an Instagram photo of what it all looks like in my car, haha:

mom2khj is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've always used the Clean Shopper. I have the shopping cart cover and the high chair cover. They don't fit in our diaper bag, I just keep them in my trunk.

http://www.amazon.com/Babe-Ease-Orig.../dp/B000BUQNT6
    mom to DD1 (17), DD2 (14) and DS (9)