Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Why does my baby not like the ergo?

I was late to the Ergo and my DD is now 7 months. I've tried to put her in it a few times and she starts crying and seems uncomfortable. I don't get it because if I carry her in the same position, she's happy.

It could be that I'm a novice and she is new to this and not used to it. Or it could be that I'm doing something wrong, but it looks pretty basic? Last thought I have is that her legs are too chubby? I noticed she had some indentation on her inner thigh after I took her out..
    I so want thisit to work!

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Probably not what you want to hear, but I never could figure out why my DD hated our Ergo. I loved it, totally wanted it to work, but she would get miserable after max 10-15 minutes in it. She did, however, love the Baby Bjorn and now her Kelty Kids backpack carrier, so I think she just never liked the softer carriers where she was pressed into position against someone's body. (We also tried a moby wrap and a mei tei-type carrier, and she hated both of those as well.)

Minnifer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Maybe she dislikes facing in? DD never really like being pressed up against me and not seeing all that much. I know they can turn their heads but she never seemed all that comfy doing that. I had better luck this time around ditching the Ergo and getting a Beco Gemini, which can be outward facing but is still a comfortable/ergonomic carrier.
    Lucky single mama to DD 5/08 and DS 6/11

The first thing I would check is that her knees are up (a 90 degree bend at the knee is what you aim for) and her butt is nice and low. If her butt is not low enough then her legs will definitely be uncomfortable and probably being cut into by the sides. Keep it looser and hop a little to get her butt nice and low. Then go ahead and tighten it to your comfort. It should be tight but loose enough that she still has a curl in her back. Also I find it helps to get a move on as quickly as possible. Buckle her in and take a walk around the block. She might just calm down once you get going.

I would try and look up a babywearing group in your area. A lot of times they have meet-ups so people can play with other carriers. It sounds like your dd doesn't care for the ergo but she may like another carrier but I would hate for you to have the same outcome after investing more money in something new.

I would look around for something with leg padding if her legs are really the problem. Here are some that I know that have nice leg padding:
    http://www.olivesandapplesauce.com/
    http://www.babyhawk.com/
    http://www.kindercarry.com/
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

At that age, I'd try a back carry. FWIW, I never liked the Ergo. My fave was a Kinderpack (custom).

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    At that age, I'd try a back carry. ....

Totally try the back-carry, as your DD is plenty old enough for it to work and she'll likely see more than FFI.

There are two pretty active babywearing groups in the NYC-metro area (IIRC, you are in NYC?) as well as a northern NJ group if you can make it to a meeting.

I have their Facebook info posted in another thread and I can dig it up later.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I also wonder about the hips/legs/knees and the spread. That would be the 2nd thing I check after back carry, as she may just want to look out.
    Audrey - Feb 2010
    Anderson - Dec 2011

Please, no babies in 2012!

LizzyWednesday, if you could send that link to the baby wearing NYC groups, I'd love that!

Ugh, I"m feeling horribly guilty. My 7 mos. old DD hates the Ergo, too, but I just make her sit in it and I notice she sometimes flails upside down so that she can see things. My first DD LOVED the Baby Bjorn, but I sold it because I heard all sorts of things that weren't good about it... now I am reconsidering. I also tried at (expensive) Beco, but I find it really difficult to put on/off and not at all comfortable to wear.

I will try a Kelty, too. I think she'd love to see out.

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by magnoliaparadiso View Post
    LizzyWednesday, if you could send that link to the baby wearing NYC groups, I'd love that!

Ugh, I"m feeling horribly guilty. My 7 mos. old DD hates the Ergo, too, but I just make her sit in it and I notice she sometimes flails upside down so that she can see things. My first DD LOVED the Baby Bjorn, but I sold it because I heard all sorts of things that weren't good about it... now I am reconsidering. I also tried at (expensive) Beco, but I find it really difficult to put on/off and not at all comfortable to wear.
    Did you try the Ergo in back-carry mode? If so, and she's a leaner, you may want to swap it for a Boba - the body is taller to help reduce leaning.

Here's the link for the Facebook page of "Carry On Babywearers" who meet in Central Park:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carry...21595484524104
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks all..I think the hip, leg spread could be part of it. I think it's uncomfy. I may give the hip carry a go and if not, might have to return the ergo.

I do have a bjorn (original) and not a fan either, material is hard and it's tight. I just do not seem to have luck with this! Ah welll still have the old fashioned way...

Thanks Lizzy for the babycarrying group suggestion! Gets expensive otherwise, plus I am not good at figuring out to get the things on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast