Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default S/O: Copper IUD a good idea?

I have always had terrible reactions to anything messing with my hormones. The birth control pill makes me vacillate between being a raving lunatic and being hideously depressed. As a result, I won't use any method of BC that has hormones. I didn't plan on my c- section so didn't have my tubes tied, but I've heard that can mess with you, too. My gynecologist suggested a copper IUD, but I'm concerned. I'd love to not have to worry about using condoms, but the last thing I need right now is to have my BC make me a crazy person! I also don't love the idea of putting anything in my body on a long term basis. What has your experience been with the copper IUD? Should I go for it?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have never had qualms about the foreign object in me so take my feelings with that in consideration. I *love* not having to worry about bc! It's been 4 years and I haven't had to remember to pick up pills or buy condoms. No prep work involved like a diaphragm.

I have had 2 IUDs and the first one did trigger some cramping and longer periods. Both resolved after 3-4 months. I had no issues with my second IUD. A little crampy (I never used to have cramps) but nothing bad; I may need to take an ibuprofen but not usually.

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've had mine since 5 months after DS was born. I LOVE it. I hate hormonal BC too.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had a hard time with it, honestly.

I also didn't want to do artificial homones, so I thought the ParaGuard was going to be the right thing. I had it in for 4.5 years. My periods were really long (1 week start to finish) and dramatically heavy for 2-3 days in the middle. And I mean heavy like, soaking through a super tampon in an hour, or soaking through a big pad in that much time. I also got my period every 25-26 days in there. My luteal phase was really short... I could feel myself ovulate and I was getting my period 8-10 days after that. I was not happy.

I did talk to my gyn and he was pretty sure that my shorter cycles and heavier periods were just my new norm (I am almost 43). I couple times I took progesterone to try to delay my period (when were in Disney, for example, instead of spending all day back and forth to the restrooms) and my body "overrode" the progesterone... and I got my period anyway. He said I must have really strong hormones.

But I ended up having it taken out about 5 months ago, because I was really miserable when I would get my period. Honestly, all of those signs have gone away. I am back to 28-30 day cycles. And my period is lighter... for a shorter time. I know that the paraguard is not supposed to cause those changes for the long term, but it did for me. I know that others have had a really easy time with it, but I am someone who didn't.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I had mine removed after 4 years. The first 3 years were amazing, then things started getting really heavy and long and I could not deal anymore. Once it was gone, things were back to normal.

Don't know what to do now.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

My issues with the copper IUD were unusual. I loved the idea, but in practice it did not work for me either. I had severe bleeding and pelvic swelling only while menstruating. Cramping was unbearable and passing a bm hurt as badly as natural childbirth (yes, DS was an unmedicated birth). I went to my midwives multiple times to complain and they sent me for an ultrasound (normal) and to a gastroenterologist (colonoscopy was normal). They told me repeatedly that the IUD could not be causing these problems. The problems increased gradually over 9 or 10 months. DH could not stand me writhing on the floor in pain anymore, and asked me to get it taken out immediately. As soon as it was out, my periods were normal. No more pain at all.
    ~C~

Mama to a curious daughter born in May 2006 and a persistent son born in July 2008.

I've had a copper IUD for two years and my experience is textbook. Periods were heavier and crampier for a year, and then the cramps went away and the heaviness largely went away. For me, heavy means a superplus tampon every 1.5 hours for a day, so not that hard to deal with. Other than that, I like the IUD a lot.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I loved it, but I never had a period on it. I might have had different feelings with other experiences. Hormones also make me a raving lunatic. That's why my second choice was a diaphragm.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My body did not like the paragard iud. I had it in for about a year and a half. I tried to stick it out and finally after I passed the 1 year mark decided it was time for it to go. I had bad cramping and heavy periods, my cycle got shorter so I was having an 8 or 9 day period and my cycles were only like 24 days in length. I felt like I could feel the thing in there all the time. My abdomen felt irritated, overall it made me grouchy. I had never had a bacterial infection before and got 2 while I had the Paragard in. I'm not sure if maybe I am sensitive to copper (you can be allergic) and I read that there is also nickel under the copper so if you are nickel sensitive then you don't want a Paragard. It just didn't work for me. My husband joked that the Paragard worked perfectly cause I was so uncomfortable that I never wanted to be intimate ... not only does it prevent pregnancy it prevents intimacy too! He was actually the driving force behind me having it taken out... I was hung up on the fact that we spent close to $1000 on the darn thing (but that it was not a bad deal when spaced out over 10 years). Having it removed was the best thing I ever did!

I suspect I would have problems. Thanks so much for sharing! I think I'll stick with condoms for now. Maybe some new method will come along one of these days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast