Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by infomama View Post
    I'm on the low end of sprinkled with granola. I'm cool with that.
    http://themoralesfamily.us/granola.htm
    Loved this! Eye-opener! I'm the high end of Instant Oatmeal. Oh dear. K, I never really thought I was truly crunchy, but I do some things that I won't compromise on -- at least as far as I'm able to afford it and manage it. Those are:

* Organic (or unsprayed) for the dirty dozen 90% of the time. If I can't get it organic I don't get it. The other 5% of the time I try to go local if it's not organic/unsprayed, and the final 5% of the time I cave.

* Recycle as much as I possibly can. DH is constantly taking stuff out of the recycle bin that I tried to sneak in there that isn't actually recyclable

* As few processed foods as possible. Still plenty in my house, but I force myself to make pot roast from scratch now, rather than using a Hamburger Helper, for instance.

All the other AP-like crunchy stuff is not me, so I guess that is what put me at the bottom of that score.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think people could get rid of paper plates and napkins. We use cloth napkins and regular plates for everything, and it's just not an issue! You just need to have enough napkins to rotate through. Although I grew up with paper products, I can't imagine why I would use them at this point.

Turn off your computer when you're not at home or asleep.

Don't put chemicals on your lawn. You don't need to! There's nothing wrong with some weeds in the mix. My lawn looks great - not perfect in a no weed way, but lush and green and full. And definitely mostly grass and very cushy. Never used a chemical on it.
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

Quote Originally Posted by almostmom View Post
    I think people could get rid of paper plates and napkins. We use cloth napkins and regular plates for everything, and it's just not an issue! You just need to have enough napkins to rotate through. Although I grew up with paper products, I can't imagine why I would use them at this point.

Turn off your computer when you're not at home or asleep.

Don't put chemicals on your lawn. You don't need to! There's nothing wrong with some weeds in the mix. My lawn looks great - not perfect in a no weed way, but lush and green and full. And definitely mostly grass and very cushy. Never used a chemical on it.
    Here's the problem if you don't treat your weeds. Some people work very hard to keep their lawns beautiful, and that means ensuring the major culprit is at bay: dandelions. If you have a sea of dandelions, then once they go fuzzy they're gonna infest your neighbor's lawn, and that's not fair. If you live in a certgain kind of area that has certain lawn expectations, then I think you have to suck it up and ensure you don't mess it up for everyone else. Now, if you can do that without the treatment, then hey, woo hoo. but if you can't, and your dandelions are mucking up my lawn, then that is really piggy of a person.

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I aspire to be more crunchy. Right now I'm half crunchy...kind of like yogurt with a bit of granola on top. I love to see these top three choices you each have posted. I'm happy to report that I do most of those things, and I'll try to incorporate more and more. Thanks for the ideas.

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was "Pretty Crispy". Actually, better than I thought, since many of my answers were "thinking about it". I'm quite granola minded, but absolutely terrible at follow through. So bad, I don't think I can even list three essentials as asked by the OP.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    Here's the problem if you don't treat your weeds. Some people work very hard to keep their lawns beautiful, and that means ensuring the major culprit is at bay: dandelions. If you have a sea of dandelions, then once they go fuzzy they're gonna infest your neighbor's lawn, and that's not fair. If you live in a certgain kind of area that has certain lawn expectations, then I think you have to suck it up and ensure you don't mess it up for everyone else. Now, if you can do that without the treatment, then hey, woo hoo. but if you can't, and your dandelions are mucking up my lawn, then that is really piggy of a person.
    I dig up mine with a dandelion tool. No biggie. We have very few, and we just dig them up as we see them.

My dad does the same, and his lawn is his "thing" as a retired guy-he just likes doing outside work. Anyway, his looks pristine and he just digs them up in his old fashioned way-with a penknife.

Why is it "piggy" of a person to do that? You don't think chemical treatments get into the runoff or the other person's lawn? I mean, you don't like their dandelions but maybe they don't like chemical treatment near their lawn. Why is one more "right" than the other?
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    I dig up mine with a dandelion tool. No biggie. We have very few, and we just dig them up as we see them.

My dad does the same, and his lawn is his "thing" as a retired guy-he just likes doing outside work. Anyway, his looks pristine and he just digs them up in his old fashioned way-with a penknife.

Why is it "piggy" of a person to do that? You don't think chemical treatments get into the runoff or the other person's lawn? I mean, you don't like their dandelions but maybe they don't like chemical treatment near their lawn. Why is one more "right" than the other?
    I just feel that you have to know what is expected of you when you move inot a neighborhood, and if you know that you're expected to control your dandelions, then you need to do it. If you can dig them up, lovely. If you can't or choose not to, then find a way, cuz if I spend tons of my time and effort on a beautiful lawn, then you letting yours go and that impacting me is not against the law, but it's low.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by infomama View Post
    I'm on the low end of sprinkled with granola. I'm cool with that.
    http://themoralesfamily.us/granola.htm
    Me too! I got a 57. My score might have been a bit lower if I went back and did it for DD1. We didn't cloth diaper DD1 although I wanted to. Neither DH nor I have the patience to home school, but I admire those who do. I didn't like the question about meat
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yeah, I'm not going to poison the environment just because someone else doesn't like dandelions. I won't let the kids blow the seeds from the ones in my yard but thats it. I do try and pull off the fluffy heads and get them in the trash before they blow off.

I just can't use chemical herbicides. Our drains go into the Chesapeake Bay. Herbicides are a huge problem. There's just no way. I do pull our dandelions and stop the girls from blowing them. But the environmental impact of herbicides where I live is too great.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast