Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    We have a maxi-kick and love it. You might consider the maxi-kick because at its lowest it is the same height as the mini-kick.
    Yes - that is exactly why we picked out a Maxi instead!
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Good thread, I have a question, would an almost 15 month old be able to ride the Radio flyer scooter?

My old DD is almost 4 but just started riding a tricycle pedaling on her own, she's not so adventurous. But DD2 at 14 months is trying to get on her big sis tricycle and they fight over it. So I was planning on getting DD2 a Radio Flyer cycle but after seeing this thread I'm wondering whether DD2 might be able to get the hang of the Radio Flyer and I can get DD1 a mini kick?

Any thought?
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    Good thread, I have a question, would an almost 15 month old be able to ride the Radio flyer scooter?

My old DD is almost 4 but just started riding a tricycle pedaling on her own, she's not so adventurous. But DD2 at 14 months is trying to get on her big sis tricycle and they fight over it. So I was planning on getting DD2 a Radio Flyer cycle but after seeing this thread I'm wondering whether DD2 might be able to get the hang of the Radio Flyer and I can get DD1 a mini kick?

Any thought?
    My DS started getting on our Radio Flyer at about that age - he would stand on it with 2 feet and I would push him. He didn't start getting the hang of the actual scooter motion with one foot on the ground until this spring when he was closer to 2.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would skip the mini scooters personally. DD got a regular RAzr scooter (two wheeled) for her 3rd birthday and has done great with it - she learned how to balance after a few weeks, etc... It will last her until she's over 10 years old and she likes being able ot keep up with her older brother. Plus it's a lot less expensive than the others posted (just $25ish) and she can use it like learning on a balance bike (b/c IMO if a 3 year old can use a balance bike then they can also use a regular scooter as the principle is the same).
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

tny915 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Well worth it! DD2's mini kick rolls MUCH more smoothly than DD1's Razor. It's much better quality.
    DD1 2003
    DD2 2008

Last year SIL got DD a Princess scooter (a lot like the Radio Flyer scooter) for her birthday. She always wanted to ride but would ride it maybe 10 or 20 yards and then get off and want me to carry it back to the house. We gave DD a mini kick for her birthday this year (I got last fall for $50 from zulily) and she rides around the block like three or four times (when I want to get off the scooter and tell her its time to quit). The difference in use the two get makes it totally worth the difference in price.
    DS has a maxi kick and they are the same height when on the lowest setting but the whole scooter is small and easier for little ones to maneuver. I'm glad I got DD a mini kick but I think she would have been fine with the maxi but maybe wouldn't have taken to it as quickly.
    I disagree about the scooter being the same as a balance bike. DS had a balance bike and was great on it, we got him a razor scooter and he didn't take to it at all. He maybe rode it down the drive way two or three times over a whole summer. The next year I got him the Maxi Kick and he took off on it. I use the razor scooter so it wasn't a waste. DS sometimes uses the razor and is very good on it now but he still prefers the maxi kick. Last summer the we had a problem of keeping the 4th grader next door off on DS's maxi kick. Its always a very popular toy with other kids.

ETA: Get on the email list for the maxi kick store, they often have coupons or certain colors discounted. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have a deal soon. Also liking them on facebook will get coupons too. http://www.kickboardusa.com/
    Last edited by katydid1971; 06-06-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

So what's the difference between the mini and maxi?
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The height of the handle bar on the Mini is fixed, whereas the height is adjustable on the Maxi. The lowest setting on the Maxi is the same height as the Mini. When I compared them IRL a couple of weeks ago, the platform looked the same, to my eyes.
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I wish we had gotten the mini kicks instead of these. We went for the clearanced $20 ones and they are pretty good but when the girls have tested the mini kicks at a local store they think they are just the best things ever. They are SO lightweight and easy to manipulate. When DS is older I would get him a mini kick for sure.

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    We have a maxi-kick and love it. You might consider the maxi-kick because at its lowest it is the same height as the mini-kick.
    It really is that great...and different than other scooters.

Yes!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast