Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We don't do quiet time, but I do usually end up with 'away time' for a portion of each day. Basically, they have to stay away from each other. We have three floors, so one per floor usually works well. DS1 loves to read, so it's not a big deal for him to go read in his room. I might give one of them computer time or send one outside as well. I try to be proactive with it before they are snipping at each other.

Swim team is a lifesaver here - an hour a day of swimming laps does wonders for the activity level. DS3 doesn't get quite that much because he is still learning, but the cool temps lately mean he is burning a whole lot of energy staying warm. If we every get warm weather again, I'm going to try to get to the pool for a couple hours a few times a week.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    We don't do quiet time, but I do usually end up with 'away time' for a portion of each day. Basically, they have to stay away from each other. We have three floors, so one per floor usually works well. DS1 loves to read, so it's not a big deal for him to go read in his room. I might give one of them computer time or send one outside as well. I try to be proactive with it before they are snipping at each other.

Swim team is a lifesaver here - an hour a day of swimming laps does wonders for the activity level. DS3 doesn't get quite that much because he is still learning, but the cool temps lately mean he is burning a whole lot of energy staying warm. If we every get warm weather again, I'm going to try to get to the pool for a couple hours a few times a week.
    Yeah, I'm crossing my fingers that the swim lessons actually work this time and they can do swim team next yr. I know that it is practically a daily thing and wears them out. I will have to try everyone's ideas of repeating quiet time until it works, although that might be like an episode of that movie groundhog day, lol.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post

My questions - do you have it at a set time daily? Or, do you plan it depending on the days activities? What about days that you'll be gone for a longer time, like a trip to the zoo (45 min drive for us)?
    My DD's "quiet time" starts a little after my DS's nap each day, usually around 1 or 1:30. I find if I do it late in the afternoon, she is more likely to fall asleep which can mess with bedtime. It always lasts for just about an hour (the length of the CDs she listens to). My DS usually naps from 12:30 or 1 to 3ish. So I let her play while I put DS down for his nap and then we usually do a short activity just the 2 of us (game, puzzle, craft - something that is hard for me to do with a 2 year old running around!). Then we head up for "quiet time". We read 3 books of her choice, she chooses her CD to listen to and I leave.

The exceptions to "quiet time" are if we have a big family outing like the zoo or we have visitors. Then her quiet time might be shorter or later in the day (whenever we get home). If the grandparents are here, I usually only have her rest for 30 minutes or so, or I go get her when they arrive.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

-We are doing swim lessons twice a week through a program called swimamerica. It's a national program and uses a punch card system so you just buy a certain number of lessons and can go whenever. If I feel like we need to go more, we will. However these are quite painful to sit through with my toddler stuck in the stroller.
    -both kids are going to a full-day camp for a week next week. I didn't do more than that because it is expensive. If they LOVE it I might consider adding a 2nd week later in the summer. might. but probably not due to the expense.
    -DD is doing an art class the week after that each afternoon 4-5:30. I almost signed DS up for a concurrent class but he is not into art at all so I decided it would be a waste of $$ so I said forget it. Not sure what we are going to do each day for 1.5 hours since it's too far to come all the way home. We'll see.
    -In mid-July DD is doing a pioneer days school camp for 3 days. DS was too young.
    -I also joined a pool (haven't been yet because of timing and crappy weather but plan to go next week). Got it on a groupon so it was super cheap.
    -we have zoo and science museum memberships and they are both 10 minutes away from home.
    -local farmer's market twice a week- it's fun to go and get italian ices. Then we can go to the playground nearby. It's pretty freaking hot here though.

The 17 month-old takes a 2.5 hour nap every day so we are home for that every day. My kids do play very well together but they still bicker and fight and get way loud. This weekend I bought them both basketballs (DS is playing through the Y this summer). I also got them each a nicer watergun and they go outside with a big bowl/bucket of water (so no coming in for refills) and play for like an hour. We also do in your own room quiet time (playing or reading) each day. I honestly don't care if they just stare at the walls, I need a break each day!

We go somewhere in the mornings 95% of the time. It's too hard to stay home all day. I do stuff with friends, swim lessons, moms club activities, something. Cannot sit home all morning.

If we have no plans and I can't think of something, I will go work out at the Y and put them in the kid's club. They have fun and are entertained, and I get some "me" time. Even if I've already worked out that morning (I do a bootcamp class) I'll walk on the treadmill and watch TV!

I would encourage you to also do some group lessons for swimming if you have cheap ones at the Y or something. The more they swim, the faster they will get it. Once a week is nowhere near enough practice if you really want to get them swimming.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

My kids are all close in age, so the bickering is insane
    To deal with it over the summer- we have fun trips planned every week. They are usually better when we are out and the trips are also incentives to behave. I booked every pass my local library had in order to keep down the costs- we have the aquarium, science museum, children's museum, discovery museum, zoo, etc.
    We also have quiet time every day. My kids all take naps until they enter kindergarden- if they don't sleep they are still expected to stay in bed quietly. My DS that is finishing kindergarden and does not nap is expected to pick a quiet activity such as reading, coloring, puzzles, etc and if he can not play independently and quietly then he is reminded that he can nap instead.
    With a newborn, we are home more than usual so when the bickering gets intense- I give them a task to do together. Water and brushes to paint designs on the back deck, cardboard boxes to make into homes for their stuffed animals, blankets/pillows to make a big fort, all different blocks to make cities, etc. This will usually work.
    If fun things don't work, I will send have them each pick an activity to do in their rooms so that they have some time apart.
    If all else fails, I make them do chores- cleaning, dusting, putting laundry away, matching up all the shoes, emptying the car out, etc.
    For my sanity, I make sure to get out by myself usually once a week.
    Mama to 5 wild ones

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3