Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I was also thinking it might be a staffing ratio issue. I would be pissed.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by div_0305 View Post
    A friend told me her once super-loved daycare did this to her on many occasions to keep their ratios in line on days they were understaffed! She had NO IDEA until a friend she referred to the same daycare had the same issues. Here's their MO: Child sent home because daycare said he had a temp of 101. She picks him up, and is worried what new illness is about to start. His temp is normal when she brings him home and stays that way, but she can't bring him back to daycare for a whole 24 hours after the daycare said it was at 101. They did this for over 1 1/2 years to her until she caught on, and it was only because the exact same thing was done to her friend. So cruel! As a first time mom, she had enough doubts and worries about her baby, and to realize the daycare was screwing her over like this to pinch pennies and not have enough staff was a terrible realization. Very, very connaiving of the daycare.
    That's just wrong, and I would have reported them to the state.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by div_0305 View Post
    A friend told me her once super-loved daycare did this to her on many occasions to keep their ratios in line on days they were understaffed! She had NO IDEA until a friend she referred to the same daycare had the same issues. Here's their MO: Child sent home because daycare said he had a temp of 101. She picks him up, and is worried what new illness is about to start. His temp is normal when she brings him home and stays that way, but she can't bring him back to daycare for a whole 24 hours after the daycare said it was at 101. They did this for over 1 1/2 years to her until she caught on, and it was only because the exact same thing was done to her friend. So cruel! As a first time mom, she had enough doubts and worries about her baby, and to realize the daycare was screwing her over like this to pinch pennies and not have enough staff was a terrible realization. Very, very connaiving of the daycare.
    This is actually sort of my concern. In her old classrooms, there were two teachers, while in her current one there's only one. I've had the nasty suspicion that she's getting sent home because she doesn't nap at daycare (hasn't since she was 14 months old), and the teacher wants her break. I hate to have that thought about her teacher, who does seem like a nice person, but this is killing us. I have 18 hours a week to work on my dissertation, and having to lose 1/3 of those hours due to mysterious non-replicable symptoms is making me extremely annoyed.
    Last edited by rin; 06-06-2012 at 02:57 PM.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

no experience, but seriously, if that is their policy, it is extremely unreasonable and i'd be worried about other possible motives like PP pointed out. I SAH, and if my kids were sent home every time they had a runny nose or a low-grade fever (whatever that means), i would seriously have to stay home AT LEAST 1/2 the time, if not more. when they wake up from naps often the temp is like 99 or even 100, even when they're not sick.

I think its weird they don't tell you the actual temp.

Why would they not tell you the temp? Whenever our kids have gotten sent home, we've gotten a form with why. If they took the temperature it includes what it was and when they took it.

I would be looking around and I would be very vocal to the current director about them not adhereing to their own sick policy. If it is for ratios or so the teacher can get a break that is just them taking money out of your pocket (since you need to stay home with them) in order to take care of their staffing issues.

I would ask for clarification of the rules, and the next time they call, I'd show up with a thermometer. 99 is NOT a fever.
    Green Tea, mom to three

ZeeBaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It sounds crazy to have such a policy. I have only been called or throw-up or diarrhea. I would be pissed!

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wildfire View Post
    Why would they not tell you the temp? Whenever our kids have gotten sent home, we've gotten a form with why. If they took the temperature it includes what it was and when they took it.

I would be looking around and I would be very vocal to the current director about them not adhereing to their own sick policy. If it is for ratios or so the teacher can get a break that is just them taking money out of your pocket (since you need to stay home with them) in order to take care of their staffing issues.
    Yup what she said! Our elementary school makes a note of the temperature if a child comes into the nurses office and if it is elevated and the child is being sent home they tell the parents. Something sounds fishy with them trying to avoid giving you the temperature. I would ask for my child's temp to be taken when I got to the school in the future.

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post
    I would ask for my child's temp to be taken when I got to the school in the future.
    This is a really good idea. I will definitely do that if/(when?) there's a next time.

I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point, but if there's a next time I am absolutely going to the directer. The first time I was really annoyed, but thought it might be a one-off. The second time I was out of town, so it was DH who had to deal with it, and he's non-confrontational (plus, he had been out of town the first time, so I guess it didn't register for him), so he didn't say anything. I checked their handbook today, and it said that green runny noses would be cause to go home, so I guess there's some room for interpretation, but next time I'm going (a) straight to the director's office, and then (b) straight to the pediatrician if I feel like I need some confirmation. Sooooo annoying. Thanks for the sanity check, everyone!

llama8 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would be very annoyed. My daycare only sends home for fever over 101 (and they tell you the fever number) and vomiting excessively or contagious illness (ie: pinkeye).

I have never heard of a kid being sent home for a runny nose. If that was the case, my DD2 would never be in school or most of the other kids either.

I would find another center because they are not doing what you are paying them to do.
    Last edited by llama8; 06-06-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    DD 11/09
    DD 06/11

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast