Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My kids play in a lot of different sports leagues. Usually, they try to schedule make up games for any cancelled games, but it can't always be done due to lack of field availability or other reasons. So I would say an attempt is made, but often not all cancelled games are made up. That's true for all of their sports (baseball, soccer, basketball) no matter if the league is through the park & recs or a private organization.

As for trophies, some of the leagues provides them and some don't. For those that don't, I've never had a parent just order them and expect others to pay up (and FWIW, the parents on my kids' teams are generally very affluent). They always ask first, advise the cost and then order. We have a million trophies at this point so I would definitely rather forego them, but it's hard to say no and have my kid be the only one not receiving one when all his teammates get one.

So bottom line, I wouldn't be surprised if your rained out games don't get made up, but I think the trophy ordering without permission was a major faux paus.

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 3isEnough View Post
    My kids play in a lot of different sports leagues.

So bottom line, I wouldn't be surprised if your rained out games don't get made up, but I think the trophy ordering without permission was a major faux paus.
    I agree. Even though we almost always pay for trophies on our teams, we are also almost always asked ahead of time. i.e. "I'm ordering trophies this week. If you want one for your child, please let me know how you'd like their name spelled. The cost will be $8."

We have done t-ball/little league for three years, soccer for three years, etc. We have had games rescheduled and it is a pain, and I am not surprised that at the end of the year when kids are getting out of school, going on vacations, etc. that games might not be made up for this young age group (four is the start of all this in our area). I personally wouldn't expect a refund and I've never even thought about asking for one, or looked at the league policy on refunds. I probably wouldn't bug the coach but email or call on the telephone the league itself. In our area, the league handles finances, the coach doesn't collect money, the coach just coaches. We have always had trophies, the kids love them, but I think our coaches themselves have paid for them. The families all kick in for end of the year trophy pizza party and we all kick in for gift for the coach and it is $10-20+ a family in our neighborhood (high COL, upper income neighborhood without much visible income disparity). Team pictures are always taken, it is a big day with bounce house and snow cone machines for the season kick-off, but no requirement to buy the package and a coach or parent usually takes one of the assembled team too and emails it out (the group shot). Team sports do have more costs than the sign up, I know growing up my mom could not afford what we can afford to do and it was hard. I would not sweat the coach about the games, not expect a refund but ask the league just in case, and if you can, I would go to the end of the year party. Hope they can reschedule.

ETA: Coaches on our team paid for trophies, both b-ball and soccer, not the league. Every team has had trophies, even the first year four year old t-ball team. The uniform shirt is part of the sign-up fee.
    Last edited by HannaAddict; 06-07-2012 at 02:33 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3