Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Update in #7-fired dd's therapist

Dd is a complex child. Part of this is because her challenges are not really obvious and on top of that she is quite good at performing. She does not want people to know certain things and is quite good at having things appear otherwise.

I just started her with a new therapist. As far as local resources, he seems to be one of the only--of not the only--who has expertise in dealing with some of her issues. I have seen him work with her a few times, and feel this is really true...he does have some knowledge/skills that others around here don't.

The problem is that he is quick to label, categorize and give his expert "opinion" (which a lot of times ends up feeling more factual than like an opinion". For example, when he asked how I thought she was doing, and I responded really well, but she is anxious. He then told me her anxiety is normal. Um, no its not...and on top of being her mother, knowing there is more to her than what you see, I am an experienced mental health professional. I know what is "normal" and what is over the top. He also said she is not nearly as "intense" as some of the kids he works with because she does not set fires, destroy things, etc. No, she doesn't she is more subtle than that and I am not saying my daughter is in the same category as that, but he seems to be quickly making assessments of her without having the full story.

Another problem is that this is pretty much done in front of my daughter. Last time I asked to speak to him while my daughter played in the room and we talked outside. I explained some of these things to him, mostly in the form of "I want you to know that there is more to her than you are observing, but I cannot tell you all of it in front of her". We agreed we need to meet more without her, but in the end I do think this will be his style..if you know what I mean? I ask a lot more question, get parents input a whole lot more before I come to any kind of conclusion, opinion and, while I think we can get closer, in the end I don't think I will change his style.

So, do I just deal with it or do I continue to give feedback. He asks for feedback, always wants to know how I think it is going (but this is when he will sometimes be dismissive of what I said). In the end, I need my daughter to benefit from working with him. She would benefit more if he understood her better with my input, though. WWYD? Thanks!
    Last edited by JustMe; 06-26-2012 at 12:05 AM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes